2 sets of LED xmas lights=happy dats

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Im sure this isnt a revelation but Ive been struggling finding a nice low-light setup for my 8 dats. The lowest watt bulb still freaked them out so I decided to try 2 sets of xmas LED lights...wow...very nice shimmering effect and the Dats are not bothered by them at all...just thought I would share this I know a lot of you dat owners are having the same problem..best 12 bucks I ever spent...video coming soon

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Yeah cant wait for photos. LED is a great way for lighting for freshwater. Low wattage and very bright.

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
Those Xmas lights are pretty neat for aquarium lighting. I used two strips of blue icicles and mounted them inside an old fixtures. Made a great moonlight, and my Fronts loved it. Here's an old shot of what it looked like.

blue led project.JPG

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
mamapuff;4459144; said:
Those Xmas lights are pretty neat for aquarium lighting. I used two strips of blue icicles and mounted them inside an old fixtures. Made a great moonlight, and my Fronts loved it. Here's an old shot of what it looked like.
nice yep thats about what mine looks like...i mixed one blue one in with 2 whites...tried to take pics but they dont look good so there is your frame of reference

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Mama,
Great LED fixture. I would of gone with some white bulbs with the blue but thats just my preference.

Moloch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Interesting...so you just took an old fixture/ballast, taped/glued/whatever the string of lights in it and ran the plug out the side?

Might try this tonight, I think I have some lights laying around (hopefully they aren't the rainbow colored ones)

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
Yea basically, I just had an old ballast, that had lost it's functionality, and hot glued each light around the rim of it. Note: eventually the hot glue will fail due to the moisture, but I am going to repair it and try super glue gel, or something stronger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store