16" 'C.' ornatus - largest ever imported - and other goodies from Colombia too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
As always, please refer to the stock list posted at my web page http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/stock.html for all available species, sizes, and prices.

I wouldn't have believed it if he weren't here in my tank.
My shipper told me the fisherman collected a 33 cm and a 40 cm sized 'C.' ornatus.
Now I see this was no fish tale!

So how large does this species grow? Guess we don't know for sure. I am certain that this is not the largest one swimming around in Colombian waters.

Below are pics the 16"/40 cm 'Moby' ornatus. Both giants have acclimated remarkably fast and well to the aquarium. Both are eating all pellets and frozen foods offered. I keep large rocks on top of the glass covers over each of their tanks!

It's also a treat to be able to offer all sizes of the rare and beautiful 'C.' atromaculatus. See below for some photos taken of individuals from this latest import.

I also received a few individually selected 'marbled motoros'. Below is a large male from this latest import.

While the 'chocolate cichlid', Hypselecara temporalis, is frequently seen in the trade, the other species of this genus is not well known.
From the Orinoco basin comes H. coryphaenoides, or the 'yellow-naped chocolate cichlid'.

Below are photos of this species. The juvenile photo would be of the fish I have on hand now, while the adult photos were graciously provided by Lee Newman (a South American cichlid keeper/breeder of the highest degree).

A few more infrequently imported cichlid species which also arrived from Colombia include Laetacara fulivipinnis, also known as 'orange fin' or 'orangeflossen' in the trade, Aequidens metae, and Andinoacara biseriatus. Sorry acara fans, but the A. biseriatus are of the 'not for sale' category. Hopefully F1 juveniles will be the result my withholding this rarity.

Incidentally, this is a photo of the 'green terror/red suam' Andinoacara rivulatus which I have on hand at this time. While they are not of Colombian origin, they are certainly in good standing with the 'acara' family.

Wild blue rams from Colombia are of exceedingly beautiful coloration. My photos are bad and worse, but hopefully you get the idea. They'd look great in that small tank you have!

It's great to see some up-sized black arowana as well. These fish have displayed extraordinary appetites. I was pleased that they gobled up freeze dried krill just hours post import. I was even more pleased to discover that they did not hesitate to devour floating pellets the next morning. Any special feeding issues solved!

Yes, they share a tank with a small Indo dat as well as a couple tigrinus cats.

The 'red hooks' and 'flag tails' arrived in great condition!
My photographic abilities and patience to capture great images, however, remain challenged.

I took a couple other photos (of non-Colombian imports) while I had the camera with me. Below is a photo of the juvenile V. synspilus 'shine spot' variety and A. heckeli. Both species are of tank bred origin and both species are immediately available.

The photo appearing immediately above (A. heckeli) and below (motoro) were taken of fish I just placed in my home tank this past weekend.

Can you believe this motoro was on my stock list for 6 months and did not sell?! He's now made his way into my basement excersize room and my wife's named him. Guess he found a home.

Again, my photos of rays in bare tanks leave much to be desired. Look at the difference some black sand and decor can make!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store