FireMedic's DIY RaY FooD

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Hey all, thanks for all your input and ideas concerning ray nutrition in my previous thread(s). I have a DIY gelatin based ray diet to share.

This can serve to transition rays onto new foods or enhance old ones, the only limit is your creativity. I had a finicky Flower and some wild caught Henlei's that would not budge from worms. I started making batches consisting mainly of worms (account for the moisture) while adding more and more pellet. As this progressed I was at the point where there was little worm, mostly pellet and some Tilapia. I also add Mazuri Gel based Shark and Ray diet, still love the stuff.

Purchase unflavored Gelatin at the grocery. Make sure it is Gelatin, not Pectin. I believe "FLAVORITE" AND "SURE-GEL" are common manufacturers. The gelatin comes in a small cardboard box that contains 4 envelopes (packets) of gelatin.

Tilapia -or- Shrimp

1 cup Hot water
4 packets Gelatin
1 Tilapia fillet -or- 8 whole, peeled Shrimp
4 handfulls of favorite pellet food

I use a blender:
mix hot water with gelatin and pellet. As blender operates cut in Tilapia -or- Shrimp. Blend well then pour into an approved container (not your wifes favorite Pampered Chef stone ware.....my butt still hurts).:nono:

Be conservative with the water when making this batch. The Tilapia and Shrimp have moisture that you need to account for. To much water = too little gel and a sloppy mess. The smaller amount of pellet acts as an additional binder while adding essential nutrition.

Pellet based Hybrid Batch

2 cups Hot water
6 packets of Gelatin
6 Handfuls favorite pellet food
1 Fillet Tilapia

Again, I use a Blender:
Mix the water, gelatin and pellets and while blender is still operating, add fillet. Mind the water! Using two cups accounts for the lack of moisture in the pellets. In this case you need to make sure that you have enough water to activate the gelatin and produce a usable batch. Initially I skimped on the water only using 1 cup and ended up with a batch so firm it was more the consistency of gristle. 2 cups and possibly three would make this batch perfect. The pellet is the base here, the Tilapia or Shrimp are the accessory.

*** Use common sense with regards to a hot stove, hot water, blender etc, that is all I am going to say***

Earthworms, Smelt, Prawns, Cockles, anything, can be added or mixed and matched. Making larger batches is most economical. Gel the whole batch then slice into small cubes. Divide this into smaller containers, use some now, freeze the rest. This gelatin based food make feeding very easy, very clean and very reliable. Have someone watching your rays for a week? No problem, just divide the batch into seven ziplock baggies labeled with each day. "Ok Keith, here is Monday, just add eight cubes in the AM, eight in the PM. Here is Tuesday.........etc." The gelatin also serves to contain some of the smells that are offensive to our non-ray afficianato partners, significants, wives, husbands etc. You may start to see some buy-in from them to help feed the rays. :)

Good luck, enjoy, happy raykeeping.
Respectfully,
FireMedic.

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
You can pour these gelatin mixes into ice cube trays to gel then freeze them so they last longer. Then just pop it out and feed it. Works with my discus beefheart mix using gelatin don't know why it wouldn't work for this.

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
Kinda like a fruit gello they serve in the lunch cafe when i was in JR high school... haha.. i didnt like them very well but the fish probably will HAHA! nice idea

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Our icecube trays were in use when I was putting this all together. I have been using sandwich sized GLAD & ZIPLOC brand containes. Cheap, easy to clean, easy to label with a permanent marker and recycleable if I break one.

Gelatin is cheap, $1.49 for 4-5 envelopes.

As an amateur observation I feel as though this method of nutrition is more readily digested and utilized by the rays. The food stuff being mechanically broken down into such tiny fragments by the blender lends itself to easier digestion with much more energy (calories) attained rather then spent chewing, tearing and pooping. Highly digestable and very low waste production. -FM

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Funny you mention that, every other batch I add a weight based (very approximate) dose of crushed vitamins to the batch once it cools but hasn't completely gelled. Additionally I was considering adding mealworms or crickets. The list goes on and on. -FM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store