29 gallon saltwater tank?

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
So years ago i started a saltwater tank that was 10 gallons and it did not go well because I was trying to be cheap which doesn't always work in fish keeping. My 29 gallon tank is almost empty and I was considering jumping into saltwater fish again. This time i want to do everything right the first time. I used to be quite knowledgeable on saltwater fish but again it's been a while.

Basically I am looking at two options. i want to either do a FOWLR community tank of some sort(crabs, shrimp, small fish, etc.) or if it's possible maybe a single predatory fish? Suggestions on both combinations. Looking for fish that are interesting to watch more so for the first option. Since i am not doing corals will i still need a protein skimmer and "special" lighting? the filters will be an aquaclear 50 and an xp2 canister filter.

So I think that's it for now comments?

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
i love lion fish!
if you could get a bit larger tank that may be an option?

i would not run the canaster as it will most likely be a nitrate factory and cause problems. same with the aquaclear 50 unless you plan to turn it to a refugium?

have you thought about making a sump/refugium for a filter?
i would deffently run a skimmer

as for lighting i would get a GLO T5 fixture (size depending on the tank you get but get the X2 bulb one)

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
I say go ahead and use the canister filter as long as you keep up on cleaning it. I would definitely get a skimmer though. If youre not planning on using a sump, AquaC Remora hang on the back skimmers do a pretty nice job.

I think a FOWLR comm tank would be very nice and you wouldnt need to get anything fancy for lighting either. Although a dual T5 fixture would give you nice lighting with that nice saltwater look.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
BradT85;4483673; said:
I say go ahead and use the canister filter as long as you keep up on cleaning it. I would definitely get a skimmer though. If youre not planning on using a sump, AquaC Remora hang on the back skimmers do a pretty nice job.

I think a FOWLR comm tank would be very nice and you wouldnt need to get anything fancy for lighting either. Although a dual T5 fixture would give you nice lighting with that nice saltwater look.
What type of skimmer would you recommend?

SpJc11;4483462; said:
i may be wrong but there is some dwarf species of lion fish that may be able to live singlary in there
I think you are referring to the fuzzy lionfish. Could I keep one in this size tank?

PEVINE11;4483458; said:
i love lion fish!
if you could get a bit larger tank that may be an option?

i would not run the canaster as it will most likely be a nitrate factory and cause problems. same with the aquaclear 50 unless you plan to turn it to a refugium?

have you thought about making a sump/refugium for a filter?
i would deffently run a skimmer

as for lighting i would get a GLO T5 fixture (size depending on the tank you get but get the X2 bulb one)
Ok so i do not need expensive lighting since i am getting corals so a single t5 bulb or maybe a double?

I am confused on the sump thing. I know for freshwater tanks it's not recommended to use sumps for smaller tanks so they must serve a different pose on saltwater tanks. If I get a sump would i not need the other filters? Can I use a ten gallon I have laying around. I could turn the 50 into a refugium but what would be it's purpose? So I definatly need a skimmer. What type do you recommend?

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
If you are not going to use a sump, you would need a hang on the back style skimmer. I have an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer and it seems to do good job from what i can tell, plus i have had some friends using them and they highly recommend them as well. I haven't used sumps before so I cant give you any credible recommendations for an in sump skimmer if you decide to go that route.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
A frogfish may work in that size tank.

In my experience most of the people who just want to do fish end up going reef unless they REALLY like the ones that are absolutely not reef safe (triggers, big predators, etc.). If you do fish only it is similar to freshwater in that when you have all of the fish then you are done, from then on it is feed and clean. If you do reef there is always some neat little thing to add, coral to frag out, etc. After going in to LFSs time after time and seeing corals it becomes too irresistable to not try easy corals.

If you do use a canister it is essential to keep it clean. You would need to clean it out on a monthly basis to remove all of that debris before it breaks down into nitrate and phosphate.

A reef is easy and I would recommend that if you do FOWLR stick with stuff that is reef safe so that if at some point in the future you do decide to switch to reef you can do so without breaking it down and removing half or all of the stock.

If you don't do any corals you just need enough light to see your livestock (and it only needs to be on when you can enjoy it, don't leave it on all day just to grow algae). However, a little brighter light will show things off a little better. On that size tank if you go reef I would go with HOT5 with individual curved reflectors and at least two bulbs. If you use a slim fixture you can get a two bulb fixture now and add a second one later when you advance to more demanding corals.

When it comes to skimmers you get what you pay for. Any skimmer is better than no skimmer. In a natural reef tank the live rock is 80% of your filtration, then skimmer, then refugium. If you did a sump it would be where your refugium would go, add volume to the system, be a safer place to add additives and top off water, be where you keep equipment (like heaters, skimmer, reactors, etc.). In general in-sump skimmers are better than HOB skimmers. However, they take up valuable space from the refugium. I used an external skimmer on my tank so I got a great skimmer without using vital space in my sump.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Don't get me wrong I loved my reef tank but it just didn't workout maybe because I didn't do everything right. So I am getting the idea that a sump would be a good idea. Anybody know any good plans I could use for a tank this size? We will set corals as a later thing. First I want to get the tank setup as a FOWLR setup then maybe I can add corals when it is really mature. What fish would you guys recommend? I was thinking maybe a cleaner shrimp, some hermit crabs, some snails, a small goby, a pistol shrimp(I like the symbiolic relationship) and maybe a small clown fish?

I do have a 55 gallon freeing up soon. Would it be possible to keep some sort of triggerfish? I saw one at this LFS in Baltimore and it was so interactive I played with it forever. I would love to keep one.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
actually lets just focus on the 29 gallon community.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
You could do a pair of clowns. Stick with ocellaris or percula, they are small and not too aggressive. If you set it up right (enough rock, decent skimmer, etc.) and do enough water changes (at least 10% every week) then you could have more fish. Don't go crazy, but you have room for a few more. Six line wrasses can be very useful, they eat small bristleworms, flatworms, certain sea slug eggs, etc. This can really help keep things under control. A small species of blenny can be really good too. Everyone loves them because they are responsive and have that cute little face. I had a zebra blenny that did well in my tank until the Clarkii clown chased it out.

Always KNOW what species of hermits and snails you are getting, don't just take the word of the people at the LFS. Some species can be very destructive and you shouldn't waste money on stuff that is just going to eat your corals. It is normal to lose snails and hermits to hermits and 'natural' causes, so you will have to restock periodically (about every six months).

The best way to do a sump is to buy the largest aqaurium that fits iin your stand and then make it yourself. It is very easy and simple to get glass cut (or cut ut yourself) and silicone them in. To plan your sump well though you need to know what skimmer and pumps you will be using. This will allow you to give them enough room without too much room. Leave too much room for them and you lose space for your refugium. I used a HOB overflow box on my tank and have no issues with it. I had to modify it a little, but I can't honestly say I wouldn't use one on a larger tank. I use Rio pumps, they are compact (save space for more fuge) not too expensive but not cheap quality, have a built-in intake grate, and have an easy to work with 3/4" output.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store