Why did pleco die?

Siladhiel

Feeder Fish
Aug 14, 2006
IL
I was wondering if anyone here could give me possible reason why my pleco died... He hasn't showed any weird behavior before last night, when he swam around the whole tank not stopping to suck onthe glass or gravel or anythign like he usually does, normal behavoir for him is to just sit there and suck ornaments. When he got done swimming everywhere he layed there and looked like he was struggling to breath. The only odd thign i noticed about him was a white lump with red speckles...i have no idea what it was. He died this morning and the white thing popped. I attached some pictures of what the thing looked like. If anyone can let me know what it was or if it was contagious it wouild be very much appreciated. thanks

Oh and he was in a 75GAL tank, with him there were 4 discus, 3tetra,1royal pleco, and a clown loach. And he was a Bristle nose and was about 2-3yrs

thanks
lara

HPIM0578.JPG

HPIM0576.JPG

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
i almost wonderng if he wast constipated or something (honestly not sure if they can get constipated) but my the abdominal swelling and the anus looking slightly swollen (well more than slightly but its a little fuzzy)>

jason

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Internal Parasite?

Did you introduce any fish lately? Clown Loaches and Wild Discus could be likely couriers of internals..

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Though not very common, plecos can develop bloat. The bloat is usually bacterial in nature and derives from decomposing detritis. Water quality drops are the most common triggers of contracting this infectious disease. What were your latest test results, including nitrites?

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
What was the fishes diet before it died?

It's stomach does appear bloated and that can be caused by too much protien and not enough vegetable fibre.

I'm not sure that thats the cause, but it is a common problem with the Pterygoplichthys species.

plecos die offten not very stable fish.
I have found plecos of that type to be one of the toughest fish around. I have 8 of them , oldest is 6 years, and cross fingers I have never lost one.

Ian

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Ian, it's an old thread created in August 2006.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store