General saltwater Questions?

RATEDRSUPERFAN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
wisconsin
I was wondering how I convert a aqueon 75E freshwater tank to fish only salt water, I already have a Heater a light and a filter. I also know I going to need salt, a skimmer, and that crushed coral rock. So does anyone know any online retailers for that stuff.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
RATEDRSUPERFAN;4510694; said:
I was wondering how I convert a aqueon 75E freshwater tank to fish only salt water, I already have a Heater a light and a filter. I also know I going to need salt, a skimmer, and that crushed coral rock. So does anyone know any online retailers for that stuff.
What sort of filter do you currently have?

Make sure you budget for live rock. Converting wont be hard, just rinse the tank well.

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
Marinedepot.com and aquacave.com have some serious deals. Don't know if they do live rock though? You can do live sand to cycle your tank instantly espescially if its a fowlr.(fish only with live rock)

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
....fleshy should be tacking this soon....He say's that live sand does not cycle your tank instantly. Its pretty easy i converted m 72 gallon from fresh to salt. It's just that you need a big wallet then again im running an fluval fx5....more filtration the better lol

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
i would not do any canaster filters. i would runn a sump with a skimmer and refugium. you will need live rock, and also sand. not nesscarely live but personally i like the looks of it so i use.

what lighting do you have?

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
Its funny cause a canister would be more efficient on a predator tank than a fuge.

Why not asking questions about his possible set up instead of suggesting stuff you guys know nothing about.

What kind of tank do you want?

Predator
FOWLR
or REEF?

j.aaron08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Michigan
If your on a budget, I would recommend a wet/dry filter with skimmer. Then if you want to have live rock, you can start adding rock and removing bio balls. I wouldn't recommend just using a canister filter constantly. For occasional cleaning is fine. Don't over filter!!! Saltwater is not like freshwater. Move more water, and filter less. Also for cycling, you don't necessarily need live sand or rock. If you have another tank with fish, use a little bit of that water when you fill. The bacteria for cycling is live in the water, and will work great. Good luck

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
j.aaron08;4511385; said:
If your on a budget, I would recommend a wet/dry filter with skimmer. Then if you want to have live rock, you can start adding rock and removing bio balls. I wouldn't recommend just using a canister filter constantly. For occasional cleaning is fine. Don't over filter!!! Saltwater is not like freshwater. Move more water, and filter less. Also for cycling, you don't necessarily need live sand or rock. If you have another tank with fish, use a little bit of that water when you fill. The bacteria for cycling is live in the water, and will work great. Good luck
Beneficial Bacteria is actually not suspended in the water colum, and if there is little it will not make a difference. Thats only a good way to spread parasites and diseases.

Add live sand or live rock from another tank is good, but still run the same risk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store