Florida Everglades are under attack

snookn21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
FT. MYERS FL
www.aquabid.com
HR669 ban on importation of many animals, including fish!

I understand congress 100%, I have seen the changes in my love of the world, the Florida Everglades. Years ago when I was young my dad use to take me their all the time. The native fish and wild life was so real and so thick that you really wouldn’t of thought anything.

Today in the year of 2010 I see that the Florida Everglades and many other places in the state are under attack. Invasive Fish, plants, reptiles, and rodents’ are starting to take over our native species and are out competing with them for food and land.

The Invasive fish are out of control and I don’t see how they can help stabilize the natural populations of Largemouth bass, bluegills, crappie and other native fish species in which turn into food to all of the invasive Predators with out our help.

We have a problem here in Florida and we need some help. I really would like to start a task force in which works 5 days - 7 days a week collecting nothing but the invasive species and either re homing them to fellow responsible hobbyist or euthanizing the rest.

Some of the over taking species such as Tilapia should be caught and sold as food to the Fish market. If their were enough people willing to help get these species out maybe the natives would have a better chance.

Instead the invasive fish and animals are out breeding and out controlling all Natives. Florida needs our help. I would really like to help control invasive species in Florida.

I want to help save the last GREAT swamp in America. I have seen the pythons, and what looks to be hybrid pythons. They are no joke they are as real as it gets. The invasive fish are the same way.

I’m concerned their really might not be much Native wild life left down here in another 20 years. It is turning into the land of exotics as we speak. A new world of a whole bunch of species that don’t belong... Soon to be called Jurassic Park.

I understand FWC helps restock native species, but that is only half the problem. I would like to help FWC take out all the species that don’t belong. I know I cant save the whole state or country, but I would like to do my best to try and save what’s left of the Florida Everglades. You cant catch them all but you can help deplete the numbers. Its a magnificent place of wonders. And with the states help, I know I can help!! And so can all of you.

Just think about it. Their are millions of irresponsible people out their. The ones who don’t think or care are the ones that damage everything. I enjoy collecting non native species, and native species. And that’s why I really worry. Because the native really are falling out to the non native. Here is just a small list that I know we have problems with

Walking Catfish (Clarias batrachusnative to Southeast Asia and first reported in mid-1960s; numerous media reports anticipated catastrophic effects that never materialized; grows to more than 20 inches, can breathe air, and traverse short distances on land when raining. These guys destroy native bluegill and large mouth bass fish beds, and multiply by thousands.

Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aureusnative to Africa and Middle East, first brought to Florida in 1961 by FWC for research purposes, but release into open waters never authorized; grows to 10 lbs and feeds primarily on plankton and detritus; male digs and guards large crater-like nest in shallow water; female broods eggs and young in mouth. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Spotted Tilapia (Tilapia mariaenative to west Africa and first reported in 1974; this is only substrate spawning tilapia in Florida; abundant in south Florida where it is the primary forage for butterfly peacock; coloration changes from a barred pattern in juveniles to spotted pattern in adults. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Mozambique Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicusintroduced in late 1960s; native to east Africa; maximum size about 3.5 lbs; breeding males are black with white cheeks and large mouths, but females appear similar to blue tilapia. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Oscar (Astronotus ocellatusone of first exotic fishes reported in late 1950s, native to South America, and widespread south of Lake Okeechobee; grows to about 2.5 lbs, and is a popular sport fish. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Midas Cichlid (Cichlasoma citrinellumfirst collected in Florida in late 1970s; native to Great Lakes of Nicaragua; adults brightly colored, but young drab gray. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Mayan Cichlid (Cichlasoma urophthalmusfirst reported from remote areas of Everglades National Park in early 1980s; native to Central America; tolerant of brackish water; widespread, abundant, and is a popular sport fish. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Jaguar Guapote(Cichlasoma managuensenative to Central America and first documented in 1992; has small teeth. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever. MEAN!

Black Acara (Cichlasoma bimaculatumnative to South America and fi rst reported in early 1960s, this species sometimes becomes abundant in densely vegetated habitats or ponds containing few other fishes. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever.

African Jewelfish (Hemichromis bimaculatussmall fish native to Africa and introduced in early 1960s; maximum size five inches; associated with dense vegetation

Sailfin Catfish (Pterygoplichthys multiradiatusone of three similar sucker mouth catfishes in Florida, this species first collected in late 1970s, but another species had been present since 1950s; native to South America and covered with bony scales; grows to greater than 20 inches; burrowing activity sometimes leads to erosion problems. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever.

Brown Hoplo (Hoplosternum littoralefirst reported in 1995 and
now widespread in central Florida and spreading south; maximum size about 10 inches, native to South America. Again the produce more then Florida can handle. Once they breed 1 time in a pond or canal, they have basically established a colony forever.

Pike Killifish (Belonesox belizanussmall fish (less than 7 inches) native to Central America; reportedly released in 1957 after completion of a university research project; preys on small fishes and births young alive; prefers marshy habitats.

Apple Snails I see good and bad with this one.

And I know "Peacock" tire track eels are breeding down their. I don’t know if they have confirmed them yet but I have. I have plenty of samples in my freezer and aquarium.

+ + + MANY other reptiles, fish, plants, birds, and mammals I didn’t list

I don’t agree with the TOTAL HR669 ban on exotic pets, but I do agree with congress we have a problem. And that problem is not all the hobby's fault. Many of the species let go were let go intentionally for food purposes and game purposes.

Like I said these fish breed like crazy, and with Florida’s perfect climate people take advantage. I’m sure the tilapia were let go just like the Farrell Hogs from Spain. They had good reason, but never cared or sat down and thought about the consequences it would have on the environment and state in the future.

Be responsible. Don’t release your pet into the wild, even if it is native. Theirs all kinds of other things you could be releasing with it, including disease, and harm to the enviroment.

Thanks,
John

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
unfortunately i dont lives in floria or the states for that matter - that said i am in awe of you. wha your doing is fantastic and if there were more people like yourself the world would be a better place - good luck with your recruitment and your saving the everglades

Damian

snookn21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
FT. MYERS FL
www.aquabid.com
List of exotic freshwater fishes collected from Florida fresh waters.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]August 2007

[/FONT][/FONT]I. REPRODUCING FISHES (n = 34)

A. Established Species (n = 23; permanent populations; i.e., populations unlikely to be eliminated by man or natural causes and from which individuals can be regularly
collected).

1. Brown Hoplo
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hoplosternum littorale [/FONT][/FONT]Callichthyidae
2. Bullseye Snakehead
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Channa marulius [/FONT][/FONT]Channidae
3. Oscar
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Astronotus ocellatus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
4. Butterfly Peacock Bass
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichla ocellaris [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
5. Black Acara
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma bimaculatum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
6. Midas Cichlid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma citrinellum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
7. Rio Grande Cichlid
3 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
8. Jaguar Guapote
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma managuense [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
9. Yellowbelly Cichlid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma salvini [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
10. Mayan Cichlid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma urophthalmus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
11. African Jewelfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hemichromis letourneuxi[/FONT][/FONT]4 Cichlidae
12. Blue Tilapia
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Oreochromis aureus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
13. Mozambique Tilapia
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Oreochromis mossambicus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
14. Blackchin Tilapia
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Sarotherodon melanotheron [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
15. Spotted Tilapia
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Tilapia mariae [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
16. Walking Catfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Clarias batrachus [/FONT][/FONT]Clariidae
17. Common Carp
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cyprinus carpio [/FONT][/FONT]Cyprinidae
18. Suckermouth Catfish
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hypostomus [/FONT][/FONT]sp. Loricariidae
Vermiculated Sailfin Catfish [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus [/FONT][/FONT]Loricariidae
Orinoco Sailfin Catfish [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus [/FONT][/FONT]Loricariidae
21. Clown Knifefish C
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]hitala ornata [/FONT][/FONT]Notopteridae
22. Pike Killifish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Belonesox belizanus [/FONT][/FONT]Poeciliidae
23. Asian Swamp Eel
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Monopterus albus [/FONT][/FONT]Synbranchidae

B. Possibly Established Species (n = 9; species believed to be reproducing, but might eventually be eliminated by man or natural causes; i.e., populations are typically small, have limited distributions, and cannot consistently be collected).

1. Eartheater
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Geophagus [/FONT][/FONT]sp. Cichlidae
2. Eastern Happy
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Haplochromis callipterus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
3. Banded Cichlid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Heros severus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
4. Theraps Hybrid
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Theraps [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]melanurus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]x [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]T. zonatus?[/FONT][/FONT]5 Cichlidae
5. Hornet Tilapia
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Tilapia buttikoferi [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
6. Nile Tilapia
5 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Oreochromis niloticus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
7. Oriental Weatherfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Misgurnus anguillicaudatus [/FONT][/FONT]Cobitidae
8. Bristlenosed Catfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Ancistrus [/FONT][/FONT]sp. Loricariidae
9. Spotfin Spiny Eel
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Macrognathus siamensis [/FONT][/FONT]Mastacembelidae

C. Localized (n = 2; a confined, reproducing population that might be eliminated by natural causes or by man using available methods).

1. Silver Dollar
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Metynnis [/FONT][/FONT]sp. Characidae
2. Variable Platyfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Xiphophorus variatus [/FONT][/FONT]Poeciliidae

II. NON-REPRODUCING FISHES (n = 21)

A. Formerly Reproducing Species (n = 14; illegally introduced populations; those intentionally eliminated by man indicated by an asterisk*).

1. Climbing Perch
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Anabas testudineus [/FONT][/FONT]Anabantidae
2. Croaking Gourami
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Trichopsis vittata [/FONT][/FONT]Anabantidae
3. Siamese Fightingfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Betta splendens [/FONT][/FONT]Anabantidae
4. Twospot Ctenopoma
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Ctenopoma nigropannosum [/FONT][/FONT]Anabantidae
5. Trahira
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hoplias malabaricus [/FONT][/FONT]Characidae
6. Pirambeba*
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Serrasalmus humeralis[/FONT][/FONT]5 Characidae
7. Firemouth Cichlid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma meeki [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
8. Convict Cichlid*
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
9. Jack Dempsey
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma octofasciatum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
10. Threespot Cichlid*
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Cichlasoma trimaculatum [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
11. Redbelly Tilapia*
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Tilapia zillii [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
12. Guppy
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Poecilia reticulata [/FONT][/FONT]Poeciliidae
13. Green Swordtail
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Xiphophorus hellerii [/FONT][/FONT]Poeciliidae
14. Southern Platyfish
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Xiphophorus maculatus [/FONT][/FONT]Poeciliidae

B. Other Species of Interest (n = 7; fishes collected multiple times without evidence of reproduction, possible natural hybrids, and/or are of interest for some other reason).

1. Black Pacu
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Colossoma macropomum [/FONT][/FONT]Characidae
2. Redbellied Pacu
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Piaractus brachypomus [/FONT][/FONT]Characidae
3. Cichlasoma Hybrid
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]C. citrinellum x C. urophthalmus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
4. Northern Snakehead
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Channa argus [/FONT][/FONT]Channidae
5. Grass Carp
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Ctenopharyngodon idella [/FONT][/FONT]Cyprinidae
6. Barred Bichir
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Polypterus delhezi [/FONT][/FONT]Polypteridae
7. False Siamese Shark
4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Platytropius siamensis [/FONT][/FONT]Schilbidae

Definitions of exotic, established, possibly established, and transplanted follow those adopted by the American Fisheries Society at its 1984 Annual Executive Committee Meeting in Providence, Rhode Island; and published in Fisheries 9(4):17-18.

Technically a transplant since its natural range encompasses a portion of southern Texas.

Species not listed by AFS’ Committee on Names of Fishes (Nelson et al. 2004) or Fuller et al. (1999).

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
I'm planning on buying a house in FL within the next year. I would be more than happy to lend a hand when I do.

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
snookn21;4521935; said:
I already help the best I can. I need the states help to fund a program of fisherman targeting only invasive fish that don’t belong. The ones I listed are the ones in which worry me the most.
i would take that job in a second being as i grew up seining shiners i think i could do some damage to the tilapia.

snookn21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
FT. MYERS FL
www.aquabid.com
These all should be considered established non natives too. Their are too many bodies of water that house these fish. I find them of all sizes all threw out the south, and the everglades

5. Hornet Tilapia4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Tilapia buttikoferi [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
6. Nile Tilapia5 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Oreochromis niloticus [/FONT][/FONT]Cichlidae
9. Spotfin Spiny Eel4 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Macrognathus siamensis [/FONT][/FONT]Mastacembelidae

I dont see harm really in the spiny eels, but the tilapia's are no good. They take over where ever they are found.

Planetnicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2010
USA NJ
O god if I lived in florida I would be out there every day before doing my home work.
so like 3-6 catching as many invasives as possible in my kayak I would have so much fun doing that. sadly I live in NJ.set up posters down in florida im sure you could whip up a glades task force. you guys could get all the funding you need selling wild cichla oscars and what not to petstores around the country good luck.

just somthing random in NJ I have seen an african cichlid and what I believe to be a a common pleco it was a pleco for sure but im not sure about the species. I freaked when I saw it. cause the lake I fish has tons of streams that stay warm over the winter cause the water is used to cool machines they are warm and clean I feel like we could have some invasive species up here too its less likely tho.

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
There is money to be made here John re-housing these fish, I'm sure if you posted For Sale ads from this campaign many MFKers would be more than happy to fund your efforts.

This would also be a good MFK event, I wouldn't mind taking some time off for an organized event. Let us know whats up, and good luck with state funding.

P.s Got a new truck yet?

Akabir47

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Home of the brave.
Atleast we will have proven staple fish that have fed populations for a long time, Ive never heard of masses of modern day Americans living off Lmb or bluegill and if/when things take a turn for the worst im sure these invasives will be on every ameicans plate and florida will be the center of export.

As far as the burmese and rock pythons go I completely understand the concern!We thought the Austrailians had it bad with their babys and dingos...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store