are archer fish fresh water?

aussietroy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
brisbane australia
i saw archer fish today at my lfs, very small,
i came home and read a little about them, ive read they are brackish?
is this true?
can you have a pure freshwater australian archer fish?

klownh8er

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
Northern VA
From my understanding, brackish is correct. However, I'm sure there are individuals who keep them in freshwater. Can't vouch for the fishes health though.

jartist15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
canada
Never keep a brackish fish in freshwater, Never! It cuts there lifespan down by 90% If you don't want to do a brackish tank don't buy brackish fish, Fishstores are so irresponsible and as far as I have seen almost always sell them as fresh.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
They will not live as long in freshwater.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
brackish

Burto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Blue Mountains, N.S.W., Australia
Yes, you can have a pure freshwater Australian archerfish.

Depends on the species and/or collection point.
There are populations of Australian archerfish that live in brackish water and other populations that are in pure freshwater.
These guys have successfully spawned archerfish in freshwater: http://www.ausyfish.com/archer_fish__freshwater.htm
They may even be the exact same species in different locations, acclimated to different water chemistry.
I've kept my archerfish in freshwater for about 2 years now, he's healthy and active.

Reactions: Barraboy21

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
jartist15;4523538; said:
Never keep a brackish fish in freshwater, Never! It cuts there lifespan down by 90% If you don't want to do a brackish tank don't buy brackish fish, Fishstores are so irresponsible and as far as I have seen almost always sell them as fresh.
This is a gross overgeneralization. Some frequently sold "brackish fish" do better in light brackish, some high brackish, and many across a broad range of salinity, up to and including complete fresh through full marine.

With regards to archers, it depends on which type you have

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/brackishfaq.html

toxotes

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Hi there
there is no problem keeping archerfish in freshwater. I have been keeping them in totally freshwater for years. Presently I have 12 Toxotes chatareus that I have had for 3 years, 5 T. lorentzi and 3 T. jaculatrix that I have had in FW for two years.
They are a very hardy and tolerant fish, provided you do not disturb them too much, they do not like being caught in nets and do not like being moved between tanks. If they get disturbed at night or even during the day they have tendency to take off at high speed and break their spines on the glass walls of your tank. To reduce the chance of such injuries always move slowly and methodically when around their tank and try not to create loud bangs/vibrations that might startle them.
They do tend to form social heirarchies within the tank when more than one archerfish is present, which can make feeding problematic, try to ensure that all fish get equally well fed, I accomplish this be putting food at both end of the tank at once or spreading it widely if there are more than two fish.
They do not need to be fed often, I feed mine about once every week or two. They will eat most anything from live fish, shrimp, crickets, worms, grubs, to frozen shrimp, blood worms, to dry pellets flake and even meat mince.
Enjoy.

noy3k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2010
Hawaii
thats awful to hear of my archers losing 90% of their life, i have had my 2 archers in full freshwater for over a year now D:
they are frequently hungry, so im guessing they are ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store