Need ideas for tankmates for a Mbu puffer.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have a 6in mbu puffer in a 90gl right now. He will be moveing to a 180 I have cycleing in a month or so. I would like to find some good tankmates for him, and I'm open to Andy suggestions

Currently he will attack and eat anything smaller than him he can catch. Anything bigger than him he can catch, he eats the fins off.

I picked up 20 scissortail rasoboras to go with him and they are slowly disapearing. I am assuming he gets them at night. So what I am looking for is something fast, that is constatnly on the move. The scissortails just kind of hover in the corner.

Thanks for any ideas. But if he ends up haveing to be alone, than so be it. I would at least like to try some different fish.

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
aren't those puffers just as aggresive as fahakas....Because I cant put anything in with my 5" fahaka; and he grows really fast...

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
redhooks are pretty fast...

get them large enuf and they MIGHT make it...

how did your gar do with him?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
eman b115;480188; said:
aren't those puffers just as aggresive as fahakas....Because I cant put anything in with my 5" fahaka; and he grows really fast...
Actually fahakas are a lot more agressive than mbus. Oddball has a bunch of fish in with his mbus, and I have seen many pics of mbus with tank mates. I was just unfortunate in that I got one that doesn't get along with other fish he can catch.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Gr8KarmaSF;480192; said:
redhooks are pretty fast...

get them large enuf and they MIGHT make it...

how did your gar do with him?
I have given thought to them or silver dollars. I just have a feeling that that they will be too big, and he may end up cornering them. Looking for something smaller.

I woke up one morning to find the gar with no fins, but he is now in a different tank healing up nicely.

Hilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2006
Nottinghamshire, UK
It's all down to the individual personality of the particular Mbu, some may tolerate tankmates others will not. You could find that he lives happily with some tankmates his entire life, or one day after years of peace in the tank you may come home to the remains of a fish buffet. No real way of telling without trying and seeing what other fish he doesnt see as a snack.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
giant danios or rainbow fish perhaps?

tiger barbs???

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I have a pair of mbus in with a bunch of active FW tarpons and a shoal of black and albino irridescent sharks. No nips on any fish, so far. Pretty peaceful, but active, 650 gal.

I also have 1 mbu in a 120 gal by himself because he nips at everything.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Oddball;480434; said:
I have a pair of mbus in with a bunch of active FW tarpons and a shoal of black and albino irridescent sharks. No nips on any fish, so far. Pretty peaceful, but active, 650 gal.

I also have 1 mbu in a 120 gal by himself because he nips at everything.
Yeah, he will probably end up being by himself. But maybe I will get lucky and he will stop eating the rasboras I have with him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store