FLORIDA GAR (Lepisosteus platyrhincus) CARE SHEET

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
INTRODUCTION
The Florida Gar are large powerful, hardy, animals that have been around for millions of years. They need considerable sized tanks, filtration, a lot of food, and suitable tank mates. In its early years most Florida gars have a whitish color with somewhat light black spots covering entire body except the stomach which is plain white in color. Black band running from snout to middle of it’s body, short snout compared to other gars like the Longnose gar. In its later years most florida gars have irregular round, black spots on the top of their head and over the entire body including the anus fin. The distance of their eyes is less than two-thirds the length of the snout. Also they have a shorter, broad snout with a single row of irregularly spaced sharp teeth on the upper and lower jaws. No bony scales on the throat. Their color is olive-brown on the back and upper sides, with a white to yellow stomach. Floridas are commonly misidentified as spotteds.

MINIMUM TANKS SIZE
200 gallon or more is preferred for an adult Florida Gar, however, a 55 gallon at a young age will be an appropriate "grow-out" tank. Length and width is most important, best suited for breeder tanks which the footprint is somewhat different then show tanks (which are skinny high, and long). Best bet is to building your own custom made acrylic tank.

NATURAL & CAPTIVE DIET RESPECTIVELY
Piscivorous, main diet consists of fish and the occasional reptiles, amphibians, mammals, inverts, and the like that show up. A large amount of gars only take to feeders, if so; all care should be taken to quarantine them, treating for parasites and fungus, and must be fed high quality foods beforehand. A SHORT starvation period should be effective in converting from live foods only to frozen and freeze dried foods. Freeze dried krill and market prawns/shrimp, and tilapia fillets are quite readily taken by most individuals. However most experts would agree that a mixed diet of manufactured pellet/stick foods and frozen/freeze dried foods would be the most balanced diet for the Florida gar.

TANK ZONE
All levels. Will swim at the top of the water when needing air mostly, but swims through the middle zone for the most part. Laying on the bottom for a while is also sometimes common.

TEMPERMENT & COMPATABILITY
Generally a peaceful quiet fish despite it’s large teeth and predatory nature. Attacks fish only smaller than itself considerably in most cases, easily picked on. Goes great with other gars, and certain bichirs.

CHEMISTRY
pH range- 6.5-8.0 Optimal pH- 7.0-7.5
Temperature range- 50-85 Optimal temperature-76-78
Salinity range- 1.000-1.009 Optimal salinity- 1.000

NOTABLE SENSITIVITIES
Most common fish medications, Fungus, aggressive tank mates, stress, and small tanks. Best ways to treat infections, injures, and others is the Heat/Salt method as well as increase water changes.

HABITS
Large powerful fish that loves cruising around the tank or just hanging out on the bottom. With time will take to hand feeding. Despite being a fearful predator, it’s quite peaceful, passive, and squirmish.

SPAWNING
Rarely done in the home aquaria, only about two real successes have occurred and been documented with this species (most gar species are the same). Usually only breed in large fish ponds by businesses selling them. The mated pair with lay eggs over a large amount of vegetation. A few days later eggs hatch and fry have a suction cup like piece of skin on the top of the snout which they use to hang onto plants. Fry usually eat zoo plankton at the first stages of their lives.

oshp132

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2006
N/E Ohio
I agree....I just read it, good job. I picked up a Fla Gar about 3 weeks ago (about 12"). I finally got it to eat raw shrimp yesterday, so I am excited!!!!! I don't have a problem purchasing feeders, but I kinda compare them to cheap dog food, just a bunch of fillers and nothing nutritious.

Reactions: Allin121

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Not bad. Some incorrect info but as a whole not bad.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
its a good write up overall, most of it is already in the captive gar guide, good job!

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
What is the minimum size to keep a pair of them?

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
^ I think 200g but 300g would be best? Just my .2cents. The temp is indeed wrong as I have pair in my 2,000g koi pond...

Great care sheet tho!

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
For life?

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
yes for life, but 250 or 300g would prob be best. update on mine there still on mosquito fish and feeders and grown 2" over the last 3months i had them just wondering when you Q a fish can you just have it in for 2weeks feed high quality and throw them in to feed the gars? i always throw out the weak and dead ones just making sure its safe...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store