10cent fish kills $150 ray

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
I am posting from my phone so no pics yet, can post some in an hour or two. Just really want to rant for a second.

My male motoro pup had his own growout tank and everything was going fine.untilthe Stand for my native tank, which was actually a backup tank for the one that busted a leak, started giving me reason To worry. The stand was bowing so I had to put in my 3 sunfish and 3 goldfish that were bought as feeders but miraculously survived were forced to be put in the rays grow out tank, would be temporary and wouldn't last more than a week till I got the stand rebuilt.

They were fine for a few days, I watched closely. I even took pics of him last night and he looked great, I wake up this morning and half of his skin is just gone and the goldfish are chasing.g him and he fleeing for dear life. I grabbed the net and every fish but the ray was out of the tank and put with my big boys in the 330 in less than a minute, didn't care if they got eat at this point. I was scared for the ray and hacked off at the goldfish. I added aquarium salt, done a water change, even though I had just done one the night before. And my water conditioner has some aloe vera in it so I put a lil extra in to try and help and turned off the lights thinking I had done all I could. Found him a couple hours later not breathing, he had died

Just really wanted to tell my story and see what else I could have done besides just throwing the goldfish in the 330 to start with? Thanks for all who respond and sorry for the novel

Two tanks being out of commission, one for leaks, and the other which was actually a spare was on a stand that had some serious bowing to it is the only reason they were ever put in the tank but now I wish I would have just let them feed the big boys in the 330 and be done

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Goldfish ftl.

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Yeah right now I have a personal vendetta against goldfish, just really sucks. Not only did I lose my first ray, but I lost it to a fish that was supposed to be a feeder. Seriously how ironic is that.

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Well the wound looked like they had sucked the slime coat off, which I knew plecos would but really didn't think goldfish would, and just kept on and actually started pulling scales. The poor guy looked rough, I think a sunfish would have been more of bite or scratch marks, plus the goldfish were the ones chasing him when I turned the lights on.

Could be wrong though

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Shame you lost your ray, but hard to put blame on the goldfish. They were just doing what they naturally do.

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
J-P;4641404; said:
ammonia spike from adding the other fish?
Possibly, but I had done a 25% wc he night before this happened and actually the goldies had been with the ray for 3 full days atleast, I had thought maybe something was wrong with the water I put in from the wc the night before, I am on city water and do use dechlor but it could have been something else

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
spotfin;4641406; said:
Shame you lost your ray, but hard to put blame on the goldfish. They were just doing what they naturally do.
True, but when you lose one of Your favorite fish its hard not to get a lil mad if another fish caused it, you are right though

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Actually now that I look at the pics, it looks like his slime coat was getting pretty thin right where his wounds are now, but I didnt catch it with my naked eye, only just now when i blew the pics up on my comp... so maybe it had occured for the first couple of nights too and last night was just the one that did him in, either way its my fault and i realize it... just a tough loss and thank you all for your comments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store