I spawned my Ghost knife!

gianniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
sydney
watched it spawn last night at 2am.

heaps of eggs but found few got eaten this morning (i'm assuming the extra female ate it as I saw her eating some).

i'll post some pics later

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
pics are a must
congrats, you have done what very few else have.
would you care to share the details?
parents size
tankmates
tank size
parameters
etc.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
wow thats crazy, lots of us would like to know how u had it all setup. thats very cool,

gianniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
sydney
about 20cms male slightly bigger.
2foot tank with sand substrate. no idea water paramater (not important i think as long as it's clean undisturbed water). it used to live in tanganyikan tank and recently moved to tank a tank that is malawi condition.
had them for around 3years.
they were moved from 4 foot community tank with other ghost knifes as I saw some strange behaviour and bam.. after 1 months of move and 1 week after introducing a girl..
it is raining season in sydney so that could have helped.

eggs are clear with white center. it seemed to have some sticking agent as it is stuck on glass, filter, filter wire etc.
i had second female in with it and it seemed to ate most of the eggs as it was fat last night and there were lot more eggs!
will be getting egg tumbler tonight. pics coming.
ps. so far I have seen this behaviour plenty of times in my 4 foot community tank but i guess tank mates ate them all. overall i think the breeding this fish is easy but obtaining a pair might be difficult.

if i can successfully raise the fry, i'm going to try sell it to lfs and few months later i will be putting full documentation on web.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
awesome. Please keep us posted regularly, ok?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store