"sick ray emergency" sticky thread

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I have seen quite a few threads lately where people are in need of urgent advice concerning sick stingrays. I thought it may be a good idea to add a thread to the sticky section to help speed along the process :)

Before you post a thread asking for help you should gather the following info

1.The type of test kit you are using

PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

3.Water temp

4.Type and depth of substrate

5.Tankmates

6.What and how often the ray eats

7.How long you have been caring for the ray

8.How long your tank has been set up and your water change schedule (how much and how often)

9.method of aeration of water

Please add anything else that might be helpful and I hope you will consider making this a sticky :D

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Allready been several threads like this.... :( Seems to fall on def ears.

It's easier to cheat then to "earn" it.... Why waste time reading when you can just be told what to do? Makes life easier being able to just follow directions then make decisions based on gathered information.

:ROFL:

:(

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
that is true, agree with DB junkie, although i must admit i am guilty of doing this. I feel when im in fear of losing a ray i get really stressed or nervous if i cant figure it out, which doesnt happen to often ( not trying to be cocky, but i can usually figure it out ) Ill post a "help" thread and do research to try and solve the problem.
It just helps out sometimes if you get out your exact problem. I dont know what im getting at here, just typing, sorry. haha

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
This will def. help, but some pple are to lazy to actually look around... like the 5-10 posts u see that asks , "how big of a tank should i have for a ray" they easily coulda looked on the stickies or looked at the recent posts and found out, but either they are just trying to get their post count up, or just being tooooo lazy to do their OWN research.

def. good thought tho i like it

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
oh, agree, tank size threads, and compatible tank mates, and some ray ID forms are ridiculous!

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
I agree with putting a sticky up, but also understand when people would like to have the answer now as to what is going on. Not every emergency is the same, so at least a stick with the starting info like Johno added 1-9 would help them get started on a Thread and give as much info as they can to get good advice fast (make any since) I think we need to make up a list of exact information needed to help and make that 1-? questions put up as a stick, so when people needto ask for help, they know the exact info needed to get that help.
Ive been guily of asking for advice on tank mates, just posted a thread a few days ago as a matter a fact about it. Ive had rays now for 2 years, and never until now decided to add anything else to their tanks. So I thought it would be good to get views on what people have had luck with and not luck with. I rather have that info than buy something that someone else may have, and then take a chance that what worked for someone else may or may not work for me. But we all take that chance when we add something new to the tanks.
So, I say, lets use this thread to post what questions whould be answered when asking for help. then get Johno (If you dont mind to do so) to post a thread with those exact questions of information we would need to help and request that be made a sticky..
what do yall think?
Id add:
10. Filtration type
11. A picture of the tank. So we can know what decorations are in there. Ive seem threads that rays are scratched and it ended up being the rocks or a decoration in the tank that may be the cause of it..

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
It is unfortunate that many but not all come on here as a panic and many are fairly new to forums as well as fish keeping therefore do not really understand stickies...brilliant idea though and it cannot hurt.

I am amazed how many people buy a medium sized tank (125 gals ish) and a Ray and yet do not know about a cycle and the retailer did not ask.

I fear that many rays die due to ignorance (meant in a nice way)

Rays show up the lack of knowledge very quickly by their demands on water whereas many people lose a few tetras along the path of discovery.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
well lets make it easy... quote each person before you and add a question. then when we are done, we can see if johno will post it and ask it be a sticky. Since it was his idea.. lol

1.The type of test kit you are using

PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

3.Water temp

4.Type and depth of substrate

5.Tankmates

6.What and how often the ray eats

7.How long you have been caring for the ray

8.How long your tank has been set up and your water change schedule (how much and how often)

9.method of aeration of water

10. Filtration type

11. Picture of tank having problem if you can. (Helps with knowing your set up)

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Could we add some brackets () with some basic parameters

I.e. Ph (should be between 6 and 8)

Temp (should be between 76 and 82)

Etc.....

I would suggest nitrate is below 50ppm as a guide

Can we add water change water tested for nitrate too along with do you use dechlorinator on every water change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store