Large Mouth Bass Setup

*aprgibson*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
N. Wisconsin
I plan on getting a 220 or larger tank in the near future. I've been doing tons of research on raising a LMB... but any extra input would be great. Thanks in advance!! :D

GodofWar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
I think it would be really cool to have one as a pet but from what i read, there aren't much other fish you can put with it...

I wanted to put an one with my oscar, but from what i read is that as soon as the LMB is big enough it will swallow the oscar. So i decided not to go for it.

1. lots of clean water.
2. lots of filtration
3. overhanging driftwood/shade
4. Subdued lighting.
5. lots of good quality food.

A LMB tank has been my dream for many a year.

I want a 300 gallon and run three or 4 FX-5s, with a big old piece of driftwood, sand and java fern. Not saying you need all this, but this is my dream tank. :)

*aprgibson*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
N. Wisconsin
i definitely want to use sand, driftwood, and live plants (not sure what kind yet) any suggestions on filters? i'd like to put other fish with it... maybe another native.

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
*aprgibson*;4710797; said:
i definitely want to use sand, driftwood, and live plants (not sure what kind yet) any suggestions on filters? i'd like to put other fish with it... maybe another native.

I personally prefer a sump with wet/dry for filtering, especially larger tanks.

You can't put much in with a LMB. They will eat (or try to eat) anything that will fit in there mouth and they don't call it a large mouth bass for nothing, LOL. A channel cat (If you are thinking native) of the same size (or a bit larger) would be the best option I think. Or just a couple LMB of the same size?

*aprgibson*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
N. Wisconsin
Yeah i know I've gotta be careful that the lmb can't snack on the other fish (if i do decide on getting another one)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store