LFS save - Male UMBEE

CubanB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
i picked up this umbee from a LFS last week. he's been mistreated to the point that he's got hole in the head, but since being in my 4x2x2 tank with my boofhead 10" male jaguar and 6" male tilapia oreochromis he's outgoing and eating wich is a good sign.

some Pics of him and the other inhabitants

and a few more of the little "male"

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
how do you know they are males? Especially the lil one.

Both nice. Especially the bold blue spots on the face of the bigger one.

CubanB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
the animal guy;4715604; said:
how do you know they are males? Especially the lil one.

Both nice. Especially the bold blue spots on the face of the bigger one.
i don't know if the smaller one is 100% male i'm just guessing based on how many freckles it has on it's gill plate as we're in Australia and with the generation of umbee we have here a good sign to go by in sexing them is male = more freckles, female has very few -http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376141

Brenton- yeah hopefully with a decent tank which actually gets water changes he will grow into a bit of a scarred up beauty. How is your unbee growout going?

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
CubanB;4715849; said:
i don't know if the smaller one is 100% male i'm just guessing based on how many freckles it has on it's gill plate as we're in Australia and with the generation of umbee we have here a good sign to go by in sexing them is male = more freckles, female has very few -http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376141

Brenton- yeah hopefully with a decent tank which actually gets water changes he will grow into a bit of a scarred up beauty. How is your unbee growout going?
Unfortunately, he was the one fish the jag did not want to share quarters with. Chomp,chomp:( I want to add more to the tank but I also don't want to upset the current dynamics.

DCOWBOYS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
Where the Parachromis roam...
greenterra;4715861; said:
Unfortunately, he was the one fish the jag did not want to share quarters with. Chomp,chomp:( I want to add more to the tank but I also don't want to upset the current dynamics.
Did he make it??

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
great save! thats horrible, he is still super young and already has HITH, ugh, hopefully in time he will completely heal and reward you with a great looking guy that you cant even tell came from bad background anymore :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store