Petsmart ignorance...

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Okay so today I went to petsmart hoping they had gotten more jacobfreibergi peacocks in because they are cheap there. I noticed the guy working there was helping a customer with the fish he wanted to buy. I happened to overhear the conversation, on purpose of course, and I heard the customer ask about the pacu. Which of course are on sale for $3.50 each. This is what I hear the employee tell the customer..."Oh those guys are neat, they only get about a foot long and can live their whole life in a 55 gallon." I immediately whipped around and interrupted the conversation. Here is what I said to them both..."I am going to have to respectfully interrupt to inform you both that this fish can reach 48" in the wild, and usually can reach 30" in home aquaria In other words it can become the size of a 55 gallon." The employee turns to me and says, "Sir, that fish does not and I am helping this customer right now so I would appreciate it if you let me do the customer service, that is why I work here." I got pissed. I said "Are you ****ing kidding me? Why dont you go research what you are trying to sell before ignorantly trying to pass off information? Its people like you that leads inexperienced aquarists to dump their fish that were "only supposed to get a foot long" into local rivers and lakes. AND why I currently have 7 pacus, a rtc, 2 clown knifes, 2 oscars, a tsn, and 7 plecos that i rescued. You shouldnt be a jackass to someone just cause you realize they know more than you. Learn your ****ing job!" That was the last thing said and I left. It was kinda funny cause the guy got kinda scared of me when I raised my voice to him. He was about 5' 10" and scrawny and I am 6' 4" and 230 pounds. Needless to say he shutup right away. lol People like that aggravate me to no end though and I know you guys know what I am talking about. :irked:

fishysocks2012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
San Antonio
keep up the good work!

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
So much win. If i heard anybody I work with give advice like that i'd smack the hell out of them

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
usually, stores like petsmart and petco don't have much good XP worker in fish department like some other LFS ! if I'm not wrong, a foot long would be piranha not the pacu !

peacock madness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
thats awesome, ive noticed i personally tend to overhear the conversations of the salespeople when im shopping myself, it never hurts to lend a hand or in your case prevent a fish from being dumped 2 months down the road because its nothing like they said it would be. ive learned my own lesons from trial and error down the road, but have been saved many of times from more knowledgeable enthusiasts such as yourself often more times then not. thats the main reason i got interested in MFK, keep up the good work

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
Not taking any sides but I really don't expect anything from the workers there or petco... For the reason being.. They have no experience with fishes, reptiles or dogs or any other animals (most of them) and most of the time they can care less about their Job( I would too if I get paid that cheap) ..and he probably responded the way he did cuz u made him look stupid in front of the Customer.... Just my opinion of course .... Merry Xmas y'all!

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Lol Yea probably. It is just hard to be nice to someone after they bash or put down something you are so passionate about. Its not just a hobby for me. I am in school at Texas state and majoring in aquatic biology. Its a way of life.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Dang! Reminded me of the LFS i used to go. Brought like 4 pacus and put them in an 8 gallon, He told me they were be fine...

Did some research and was like "OMFG"

Lucky my dad has a large pond in the company he is working and I put them there.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
yodaLBC;4734261; said:
and he probably responded the way he did cuz u made him look stupid in front of the Customer.... Just my opinion of course .... Merry Xmas y'all!

They get very angry. Sorry I won't sit idly by when co-workers tell a customer that their water that has 0 ammo nitrite and nitrate is cycled after it's been running in the tank for 24 hours with no fish/chems, or when they say prime should only be used if there is a problem, and it's bad for your fish if you use it as your regular dechlorinator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store