Probably a Stupid Question...

*aprgibson*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
N. Wisconsin
Found an awesome deal on a brand new 220 gal tank (w/stand and lighting) and corner overflows. However, this would be my first time with anything close to that big. I've never needed anything but a simple filter for a little guy tank. I've been reading through all the information on here (which is excellent btw) plus all over the net and i've come to the conclusion that i'm gonna need a sump with the overflows... am i right? or don't i have a clue? and if i am right do these types of tanks come with pre-drilled holes? i'm sure its silly but I'm feeling slightly lost.

insanity0x1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
moundsville, WV
normally sumps are ran with the overflows,but if you dont want to use sumps, you can use canister filters connected to the overflow drains, and just pipe the returns for the canisters.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Sumps are kind of a either love them or hate them kind of thing. They have their own challenges and benefits.

Many will also install large canister filters like the FX5 instead of using a sump.

idle0095

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Manchester, NH
on my 300 i have a fluval fx5 and a pro clear 200 sump. on my 90 i have a proclear 120 and a fluval c hob filter.

get a sump and canister

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
idle0095;4743032; said:
on my 300 i have a fluval fx5 and a pro clear 200 sump. on my 90 i have a proclear 120 and a fluval c hob filter.

get a sump and canister
How do you like the fluval c? They look cool. You should post a detailed review with lots of pictures.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Brian_Indiana;4743555; said:
I have a 220, that isn't drilled. Here is my filtration:
FX5 canisters x 2
Undergravel filter w/3 Penguin 1140 powerheads
Large Hydo sponge filter w/Whisper 100 air pump
What Brian stated, or something along those lines is a good suggestion. It will be simpler for you to set up initially and you can consider a sump down the road. I don't use sumps and though they interest and tempt me, I have had so much success with canisters, I won't be changing over.

Also, like I always suggest to people setting up large tanks for the first time, you can get one canister going to start your cycle. That way you can recover financially for a week or two before you add the second filter.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sumps have their benefits, but also their downfalls. They make a lot of noise, for example. And you can put a ball valve and match the pump to the overflows, except then you run the risk of something clogging on of the pipes and since they've been so fine tuned, you could overflow. If I could go back... I might splurge the extra money on a canister just to keep the noise down, and then add a huge sponge filter for good measure.

Brian_Indiana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
Muncie, IN
^^Right on.....don't forget about the sponge filters! They are CHEAP and offer great biological. They are a little ugly and I think that hurts them to the public. In my African tanks, the sponge filters are hidden behind the big holey rock.

I had one in my Flowerhorn tank, but he started eating it.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
If your wallet permits, Eheim 2262, if not, FX5.

Either of these will get you off to a great start, and you can add a second canister or go sump down the road.

"Flowerhorn ate my sponge filter" LOL

Edit; No such thing as a stupid question, we all start out the same way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store