Crenicichla celidochilus in cool-period: before and during

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
My Uruguayan fish have been in their cool period for about a month now. All of their tanks are unheated. This particular tank is placed on an exterior wall, beside a door, in my fishroom so the temperature drops relative to the external temperature.

Anyway, here a a few shots of the females from the weeks immediately preceding the cool period (temperature was 74-76º).

Short video:
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/...elidochilus/?action=view&current=MOV07215.mp4

A month ago I turned the heat off in that room to start the cool period. The temperature has been in the 20's outside and the tank has been fluctuating between 60-63º. All the yellow slowly faded away and the red/orange blaze receded from the abdomen into a mere blaze down the flank...

Very short video:
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/...elidochilus/?action=view&current=MOV07501.mp4

Over the 1-2 months before the temperature drop their color really developed and judging from their behavior they matured (1m/2f in this tank) and a pair seemed to have formed, so I think around April after the tank has warmed back up will be my best chance yet for breeding them.

Tank mates are a pair of C. minuano and a Sorubim lima (who will come out before the end of the cool-period).

Ed

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
Very cool. I hope you do get them spawning this spring.

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
Ed,
That's really great to see. Have you had similar experiences with these pikes in the previous years? Seeing yours really makes me wish I was back in the game. Damn, very inspiring.
--Brian

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Thanks David and Justin!

Juxtaroberto... Thanks! Yes, and to mimic the sub-tropical region where they are from.

Brian... Yes, they always lose the yellows and usually don't show their black markings as prominently during the cool period. By the end of the cool period the red/orange can really pop though. Males don't seem to change as much as females. The previous two years I did it "half way" so-to-speak, and their cool period was only 65-68º for a few months. This year I decided to do it right and try for 60º.

I cut their feeding by half, a few shrimp pellets and lots of vegi-flakes, everything else is the same.

Ed

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
edburress;4776254; said:
Brian... Yes, they always lose the yellows and usually don't show their black markings as prominently during the cool period. By the end of the cool period the red/orange can really pop though. Males don't seem to change as much as females. The previous two years I did it "half way" so-to-speak, and their cool period was only 65-68º for a few months. This year I decided to do it right and try for 60º.
Ed
Ed,
Thank you for your information. Are you experiencing the same type of behavior with C. minuano? Do you think that a small group of Gymnogeophagus or Cichlasoma would make good tankmates for the celidos??
Cheers!!
--Brian

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Brian,
Yeah the C. minuano are fairly similar (less color to lose though!). Sure, I have a pair of celidos with Gymnogeophagus balzanii in a different tank, they get along fine.

Cheers,
Ed

Norbert

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
What beautiful fish, love the markings on the lips.

Sounds like an interesting project trying to get these to breed, good luck with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store