feeding clown knifes

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
i havent been able to get my clown to eat flakes or pellets. he is 3 inches i got from a breeder near by. he had been feeding them ghost shrimp so thats what i have been feeding...what type of flakes or pellets can i use to try and get hime to eat things other then live food...i have even stopped feeding him for three days and putting flakes for cichlids and pellets for cichlids and he doesnt even come to the top for food. thanks for any help

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
try bloodworms, shrimp (chopped), earthworms, beefheart, and other sinking meaty foods. all have mine have been easy to convert off of live. You might want to try to feed when the lights go off, they are more comfortable then.

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
hikari carni pellets

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
messiner;502721; said:
hikari carni pellets
mine will eat pellets, but they never go after them quite the same.
It's almost like they prefer softer foods:confused:

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Try some frozen food first. That way, they will get use to seeing food float at the top for a bit. They will eventually learn to take food from the surface and then you can give it some pellets. And if you want it's diet to mainly consist of pellets, switch around from frozen to pellets (one day give it frozen, then frozen and later pellets, then more pellets and then frozen, etc)

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
mine was very tough to break of live food. i deceided to wait untill he was a bit bigger to try and break him into non live food. (mine was 4" when i got him and i fed him rosy reds and ghost shrimp. i figure he'll develop better with live food) he was 4" in febuary and is now over 13" i used freeze dryed krill. it seemed like the only food that he would even investigate that wasnt alive. so once i realized that he knew it was food i just had to stop feeding him live food until he finaly took a piece of krill. it took about 4-5 days (heart breaking to have to do, especialy because my ck acts like a big baby and actually begs for food, ill have to get a vid of it.)
after he took that first piece of krill he now will eat any non live food even if he's recently had a meal.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
messiner;502721; said:
hikari carni pellets
Mine used to eat these its a lil easier if yousoak them in a small amount of water first, an can get them right near your CK .

Otherwise try frozen Krill, Bloodworms, earthworms, cut up shrimp or fish, (I got mine eating tilapia fillet for awhile).

phreakph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
chicago
My guy loves raw tail-less shrimp!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store