Advice please: Dividing Datnoid tank due to aggression, introduce in future?

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I have a newly introduced 11" NGT into my monster community (170G tank) that is rather aggressive with my fishes, particularly picking on my 12" IT. Those two are my only large Dats, living with a 4" NTT, and 2x 2-3" IT Dats, large clown loaches, 17" Tigrinus, 8" Flagtail.

I have now divided the tank into 1/3 and 2/3, with the NGT living with a 6" Frontosa, 9" Ansorgii, 2" IT DAT in the 1/3 section. I realize this is a temporary setup. I was wondering if reintroducing the NGT into the rest of the community after a "Time-Out" period would help would lessen his aggression in the future? Any experiences out there? Thanks in advance

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
If u want to keep the NGT and not buy any others to spread aggression, then carry on doing the divider thing for 3-4 months.
I have done similar, where I moved the bully fish to another tank for several months. This was a last resort for me ad I had loads of dats to spread aggression.

As per my PM to you, NGT can turn into real bastards when getting near 12 inch. I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Thanks Ade! U are always helpful. I'll keep u updated on the progress, and will keep it up for 3-4 months as long as the Ngt eats and is healthy. This will also allow all my other Dats time to grow and heal up. I've read the color blue calms fish, so may remove my black back.

Anyone else with suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store