Fish Coloration Terms & Definitions

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
This is off the top of my head. Please let me know what I've missed.

Albino: Lacking pigment.

Amelanistic: lacking melanin (black pigment).

Aposematic: Warning coloration.

Chromophores: Cells responsible for holding pigment.
Xanthophores: produce yellow pigment.
Erythrophores: produce red pigment.
Melanophores: produce black pigment (melanin).
Iridophores: Hold no color pigment but, hold highly reflective non-motile purine crystals that yield silver irridescent reflections.
Leucophores: Hold no color pigment. Motile purine crystals produce white pigment.
Cyanophores: produce blue pigment.

Erythristic: Predominantly red morph.

Flavistic: Sepia-toned background color.

Leucistic: lacking or mostly lacking chromatophores. Not a true albino (ie: colored eyes).

Melanistic: dark or near black (some markings can still be visible).

Piebald: Having patches of white.

Polymorphic: Having a natural variation within a single species. (eg: blue motoro ray is a polymorph of the standard non-blue motoro ray)

Tyrosinase-Negative Albinism: An albino whose cells lack tyrosinase (enzyme that synthesizes melanin) yielding a pale-white to creamy animal with pink eyes.

Tyrosinase-Positive Albinism: Synthesizes tyrosinase but, not melanin yielding a fawn or lavender (platinum) color.

Xanthic: Predominantly yellow color morph.

albino e cat.JPG

aposematic.jpg

creamirrshark.JPG

erythristic.jpg

flav-jardini.JPG

leucisticendi.JPG

melanisticgar.jpg

motoro.jpg

piebald stingray.jpg

platinum silver.jpg

RTCleuc.JPG

squid.jpg

xanthicjag.jpg

andrejnr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2007
Lisbon Portugal
Leucistic: lacking or mostly lacking chromatophores. Not a true albino (ie: colored eyes).

Correct please if I'm rong but isn't the term "Lupino" the same as the aforementioned? For example an allmost Albino Oscar but with black eyes nsted of red (where for the lack of pigment you can see the retina)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
andrejnr;775633; said:

Correct please if I'm rong but isn't the term "Lupino" the same as the aforementioned? For example an allmost Albino Oscar but with black eyes nsted of red (where for the lack of pigment you can see the retina)
Lupino is a trade-term and not an actual coloration-related word in the english dictionary.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20171019_223455-1.jpg 20171019_223446.jpg
Screenshot_2017-10-29-11-31-26-1.png
Not sure if this is the correct scientific term or not... Common in oscars. i.e. albino with red eyes, but exhibits black pigment aswell. What catagory would this specimen fall under Oddball Oddball ?

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018

I think you might mean " Lutino". This refers to Oscars with the coloration you mentioned. I have some Lutino birds that are almost all white or all yellow. Term coloration designation varies between fish and birds. I also have several aquariums, one with monster fish, that's why I'm a member of this great and informative forum.

"Lupino" or Lupine is a spiked upright flower of the pea genus. It has blue, purple, red, pink or white flowers ending in seed pods resembling peapods at the end of the season.

Can posts be made about fish other than monster fish? (I have Senegals, I think they qualify as monster fish, but do large angels?)

I assume monster fish encompass fish that have some of the following traits: ferocious, ancient, large, endearingly unsightly, exceedingly unusual. Anything else please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store