gar rescue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
ohio
I am new to mfk and love the sight but need some help
i rescued a 10inch gator gar from a friends 30gal tank
i have had him 9 days and have not seen him eat
i have him in a 125g tank with a parrot cichlid and a jack dempsey put small feeders in but he does not look twice
however the next morning i will find some bit in half some dead and some gone
is he eating??? my friend said he would eat fine for him

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
while your hearts in the right place a 125 is no lifetime home for a gator gar. im also going to assume that since it was in a 30 that its already stunted. just keep feeding it but stay away from goldfish as feeders and try to find a perm home for it with someone that has a proper sized tank since if you feed it correctly it will soon outgrow the 125 and i stress soon as well as more than likely dispatch the rest of your fish in due time. just to be sure its gator try and post a pic of it.

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
I have to agree. I had two alligator gar in a 700 gallon and I still had to give them up. These fish can reach 8 to 10 feet! Mine hit 3 foot within a year and a half. I suggest building a pond for that sucker if you want to keep him. He is better off outside in the cold than in a tank that he has a hard time turning around in.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
ohio
thanks not shure what kind he is just going by what i was told will try to post pics later

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
ohio
I have just found out my gar is a florida gar any words of wisdom for me

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
What kind of 125 is it? 125 tall, 125 wide? A 125 wide (24") should be ok for quite some time with a Florida but now you could possibly have a problem with the JD since cichlids and gar aren't the best tank mates. Depends more on the JD's temperament. For feeders none are really the best but if you have to fatheads are better than goldfish, actually dirt is probably better than goldfish. Try freeze dried krill and market shrimp, you might have to work with him to get him off live food but its healthier and cheaper in the long run to get them on prepared food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store