Dead fire eel pictures

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
seems to be alot of fat? and is that an egg sac? And did you find anything interesting otherwise?

filio

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2007
Bulgaria
www.youtube.com
Like I said, cutting her was very hard. Tough fish. My wife totally refused to take any part in "desecrating the body". So I had to hold the eel with one hand and cut with the other. An she was so slippery. The gills were too small to be used for a better grip. So I pierced myself twice on the back spines. And as a result I made a real mess of the entrails. I noticed nothing strange at that time. I know nothing of fish anatomy on the first place. Usually I gut fish only for dinner. I wasn't looking for anything, I just wanted to take some pictures for you guys. Maybe one day they will do some good to someone looking over this thread. The only thing I noticed later on the pictures are these red "worms" here.

Unfortunately I didn't notice them during the "autopsy". I could have taken samples. Do you think she had parasites?

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
What were the circumstances leading up to her death? The only red worms I'm familiar with in intestines are Camallanus worms, but I've never seen them that big. (I've also never seen a big fish such as this with them, so maybe they get bigger with big fish?)

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
I would agree... I have seen the same worms before. I've heard they can be treated with "clout" but have never used it. I believe they live in the gravel and can be the results of over feeding, but I dont really know. Just what I've heard

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
WarrendaFish;4851183; said:
I would agree... I have seen the same worms before. I've heard they can be treated with "clout" but have never used it. I believe they live in the gravel and can be the results of over feeding, but I dont really know. Just what I've heard
That is a different worm. Those are harmless.

To the OP. I was devastated when I lost my 16" fire eel, I can only imagine how hard it was to loose that one :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store