Tank/stand overhang

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Just would like some honest information on if its really bad or not???

My tank would be hanging over 2 inches on both sides if i use one stand i have and ive heard mixed info about whether its ok or not.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Most aquariums are supported only around the outside. You have to support the perimeter to maintain any structural integrity. Having it over hang the long way (length) isn't as bad as having it over hang the short way (width) of course.

Also, any part of the tank hanging over the edge of the stand will create a cantilever force on the stand itself. In your case, it's not much, but it's not "best case" for sure.

You can do some things to brace up your stand, look for a new one...or build your own :)

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
my 30 gallon growout tank over hangs about 2 1/2 inches on each side and the tank has been set up for almost 2 years. should be ok depending on tank size

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
I have a bigger dresser that im more than likely going to put it on instead which can hold the tank no problem.

But i wanted to possibly use the smaller stand which would be in a different spot in the room.

Im not worried about the stand collapsing because it can more than support it, i just dont want the tank to start leaking or possibly break.

I know the overhang will put more pressure on the seals but id just like to know if it really will be a big problem or not.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
More than likely it will be ok as long as it is over-hanging "side to side" and not "front to back". As Aqua mentioned...how big is the tank?

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Its a 30gal tank and will only be hanging over the sides, front to back will be completely supported.

Its actually a little more than 2 inches, about 2 and a half now that i just remeasured it.

As long as it wont cause a problem then id much rather use this smaller stand.

How much would be too much overhang just out of curiosity??

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Id personally rather not have to put any plywood down but if its gonna make a huge difference than i will.

But more than likely the 2 and a half inch overhang wont cause any issues is the consensus???

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
AQUAMONSTER;4820933; said:
ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand
Perfect.

Please be aware that the stand is going to be top heavy versus the foot print area. Again, your tank should be OK, especially if you add the plywood, but if it's a weak stand or a slight bump in the future may cause it to collapse.

You seem to have a good sense about the situation since you're asking the questions. Take a good look at it yourself. If you feel comfortable, trust your judgement. If you're not comfortable, then definitely trust your judgement! Having to take down an established tank or constantly worrying about it wont' be fun.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store