stable unstable

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
why does it bother so many people if there tigers are stable of unstable

i understand that they look at tanks full of ST and want there IT to look the same

what people need to take into account is ST and IT are 2 different types of tiger and its much like buying a silver aro and hoping it will look like a black aro

it looks to me that a lot of people get disappointed with IT after a short length of time because they are not displaying the bright base color and black stripes

we see lots of threads on the forum asking how do i get my IT stable the truth of the matter is no one knows for sure or everyone wouldn't bother looking for ST if we got the same color from IT like we do from ST

I truly think that if IT were as stable as ST then ST wouldn't be in such great demand as apart from stability the differences between IT and ST

the other reason ST stand out so much now compared to IT is every pic we see posted of a ST now the fish will have to be above 14inch which also makes them more impressive compared to other 5-8 inch tigers

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
VERY nicely put!

Coues

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Jersey
I agree with what you are saying, for the most part. I think most everyone agrees dats just look better stable, and everyone wants their fish to look their best. Many equate stable to happy/healthy which is obvious importance as well (whether it's true or not who knows of course :D). And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't ST's always harder to find in general and that's what makes them more valuable/in demand?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
yes ST are harder to find but the differences between a 3 bar indo and a ST are so small it takes a pro to spot the difference and lets be fair if you get a visitor in you house and you have a tank full of stable IT do you think they care if they are ST or IT

Also if stable = happy and healthy does that mean that a large percentage of the tigers kept on this forum are not healthy or happy

put a large ST up for sale and it will have a very high price tag
put a nice stable 3 bar IT up for sale the look of both fish is near the same but the IT will cost a 1/3 of the price of the ST

this makes no sense

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Coues;4828675; said:
I agree with what you are saying, for the most part. I think most everyone agrees dats just look better stable, and everyone wants their fish to look their best. Many equate stable to happy/healthy which is obvious importance as well (whether it's true or not who knows of course :D). And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't ST's always harder to find in general and that's what makes them more valuable/in demand?
Good points also.I've recently read that IT are more content or happy when they are unstable and I'm not too sure about that as most of the indos I've had have been stable most of the time.Some of them would even become more bold in color when a food item was tossed in and they'd pounce on it...That does not sound like unhappy behavior but having said all of that,people like the stripes or bars or whatever they are properly called,and they like to see them.It seems that there is a cadre of collectors( count me as one of them) who fancy the oddball indos with their unusual looking bars.The odballs or the classic indo could not be as appreciated for their looks if they were not stable...One other thing that sets the indo apart from the ST is the shyness that most indos have at some point or another.Some come out of it and some never do.Most of the indos that I've purchased from stores had to be exposed from their hiding places in order for me to be able to select which one I wanted.The ST on the other hand is a very owner friendly fish for the most part.They are always cruising about and showing off for the viewers....There are indos that are outgoing but it does not compare to a pulcher.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Coues;4828675; said:

Nicely put;)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
krichardson;4828782; said:
Good points also.I've recently read that IT are more content or happy when they are unstable and I'm not too sure about that as most of the indos I've had have been stable most of the time.Some of them would even become more bold in color when a food item was tossed in and they'd pounce on it...That does not sound like unhappy behavior but having said all of that,people like the stripes or bars or whatever they are properly called,and they like to see them.It seems that there is a cadre of collectors( count me as one of them) who fancy the oddball indos with their unusual looking bars.The odballs or the classic indo could not be as appreciated for their looks if they were not stable...One other thing that sets the indo apart from the ST is the shyness that most indos have at some point or another.Some come out of it and some never do.Most of the indos that I've purchased from stores had to be exposed from their hiding places in order for me to be able to select which one I wanted.The ST on the other hand is a very owner friendly fish for the most part.They are always cruising about and showing off for the viewers....There are indos that are outgoing but it does not compare to a pulcher.
Exactly! Exactly!

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
the contrast in coloration between the bars an the rest of the body is one of the main reasons why people find this fish attractive .....take that away and the interest is gone for some people....call it "first impression " if you like.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i done a test the other day i staved the tank for 2 days and all tigers were stable and swimming up the front of the tank glass begging for food as soon as they got the food they all turned unstable again and went back to hiding in the corners

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store