Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senegal Bichir
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-13-2012 3:17 PM

Tankmates for Jack Dempsey

Have a Jack Dempsey in a 90 gallon, trying to think of tank mates. Was originally wanting to go for a peaceful community tank but think I am going to stick with the Jack and try and see if I can still have a cool assortment of fish. Some cichlids are okay, but I would like some ideas other than cichlids too.

Some of the things I am thinking of (keep in mind, I am not saying all of these in the same tank) are Angels, Severums, a Bichir, Pike Cichlid, Green Terror, maybe Silver Dollars, Pictus Cat, ect.

Thinking maybe some schooling fish that the Jack wouldn't eat? He seems pretty laid back...what fish do you all have experience succesfully keeping Jacks with?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-01-2014 6:00 PM
    You didn't say how big he was. If he's more than 4" inches you would need to add several other fish because he'll zero in on any lone fish you add. JD's fall in the middle of the aggression scale so you would want something that can take care of itself, but not something(Jags or RD's) that would be more aggressive.

Senegal Bichir
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larz;4829340;
    You didn't say how big he was. If he's more than 4" inches you would need to add several other fish because he'll zero in on any lone fish you add. JD's fall in the middle of the aggression scale so you would want something that can take care of itself, but not something(Jags or RD's) that would be more aggressive.
    Oops! Sorry about that -- he is still a juvenile, between 2.5 and 3 inches I would say. And yes, I agree with both of those statements and am looking for tankmates that fall into those parameters!

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    THE G.O.A.T.
    Last Activity
    05-21-2014 5:07 PM
    Anything pretty much but if you dont want alot of fighting i would go with a severum. Pikes are very aggressive, a couple bichirs would be a nice addition too. Another option you mentions would be a school of silver dollars

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    06-19-2014 9:18 PM
    Jacks are passive IMO. Only while breeding do they live up to the name. Any cichlids or fish will do (except ones small enough to swallow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calihawk View Post
    Just because no one can or cannot learn anything from anyone's post, shouldnt even matter at all.
    I see these posts like shopping, if you dont like it move on...if you sampled something bitter, who told you to try it out?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    THE G.O.A.T.
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by Calihawk;4829403;
    Jacks are passive IMO. Only while breeding do they live up to the name. Any cichlids or fish will do (except ones small enough to swallow)

Not true. The JD can throw down with any fish its size. It gets alot bulkier that most cichlids. If it grew to the size of a jag it would be a top killing cichlid. They can go crazy and be mean just like any large cichlid

Senegal Bichir
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by Calihawk;4829403;
    My Jack seems pretty passive...a few weeks ago I was thinking I was going to get rid of the Jack because I really wanted to do a peaceful community tank: Clown Loaches, schooling fish (maybe a type of Characin) Corydoras, Pearl Gourami, ect. but now I am thinking bout keeping him and would still like to do a community, but obviously I might need to stay away from the smaller fish a little bit. I have been trying to adapt my thinking to maybe a community of bigger fish...I am really liking the Bichir idea, and maybe some Giant Danios or Silver Dollars, but I really wish I knew for sure or not if my Jack would be placid enough to do a peaceful community like I could have with a Firemouth

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    THE G.O.A.T.
    Last Activity
    only way to find out is to do it

Senegal Bichir
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by AQUAMONSTER;4829412;
    Not true. The JD can throw down with any fish its size. It gets alot bulkier that most cichlids. If it grew to the size of a jag it would be a top killing cichlid. They can go crazy and be mean just like any large cichlid
    I have definitely seen it both ways. Most Jacks I have seen aren't overly aggressive but can definitely defend themselves against other aggressive fish...in other words, they don't start trouble but they can end it. My dad had a Jack in with a Midevil and a 19" Silver Arowana, and he was below them both on the pecking order but he could hang with any of them...but then lately since the Midevil has passed he has been very mean like you say and has been relentlessly chasing the Convicts like he wants to kill them and as I am typing this he just went up and bit the Arowana in the side and attempted to back him into the corner...and the Silver Arowana has been EXTREMELY dominant...like Jardini-style aggressive, killing all the other fish in the tank...including the 9" Midevil...

Senegal Bichir
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by AQUAMONSTER;4829448;
    only way to find out is to do it
    Exactly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast