Tankmates for Jack Dempsey

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Have a Jack Dempsey in a 90 gallon, trying to think of tank mates. Was originally wanting to go for a peaceful community tank but think I am going to stick with the Jack and try and see if I can still have a cool assortment of fish. Some cichlids are okay, but I would like some ideas other than cichlids too.

Some of the things I am thinking of (keep in mind, I am not saying all of these in the same tank) are Angels, Severums, a Bichir, Pike Cichlid, Green Terror, maybe Silver Dollars, Pictus Cat, ect.

Thinking maybe some schooling fish that the Jack wouldn't eat? He seems pretty laid back...what fish do you all have experience succesfully keeping Jacks with?

Reactions: Tronthehoodfishy

Larz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2007
ATL
You didn't say how big he was. If he's more than 4" inches you would need to add several other fish because he'll zero in on any lone fish you add. JD's fall in the middle of the aggression scale so you would want something that can take care of itself, but not something(Jags or RD's) that would be more aggressive.

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Larz;4829340; said:
You didn't say how big he was. If he's more than 4" inches you would need to add several other fish because he'll zero in on any lone fish you add. JD's fall in the middle of the aggression scale so you would want something that can take care of itself, but not something(Jags or RD's) that would be more aggressive.
Oops! Sorry about that -- he is still a juvenile, between 2.5 and 3 inches I would say. And yes, I agree with both of those statements and am looking for tankmates that fall into those parameters! :)

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Anything pretty much but if you dont want alot of fighting i would go with a severum. Pikes are very aggressive, a couple bichirs would be a nice addition too. Another option you mentions would be a school of silver dollars

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Jacks are passive IMO. Only while breeding do they live up to the name. Any cichlids or fish will do (except ones small enough to swallow)

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Calihawk;4829403; said:
Jacks are passive IMO. Only while breeding do they live up to the name. Any cichlids or fish will do (except ones small enough to swallow)

Not true. The JD can throw down with any fish its size. It gets alot bulkier that most cichlids. If it grew to the size of a jag it would be a top killing cichlid. They can go crazy and be mean just like any large cichlid

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Calihawk;4829403; said:
My Jack seems pretty passive...a few weeks ago I was thinking I was going to get rid of the Jack because I really wanted to do a peaceful community tank: Clown Loaches, schooling fish (maybe a type of Characin) Corydoras, Pearl Gourami, ect. but now I am thinking bout keeping him and would still like to do a community, but obviously I might need to stay away from the smaller fish a little bit. I have been trying to adapt my thinking to maybe a community of bigger fish...I am really liking the Bichir idea, and maybe some Giant Danios or Silver Dollars, but I really wish I knew for sure or not if my Jack would be placid enough to do a peaceful community like I could have with a Firemouth

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
AQUAMONSTER;4829412; said:
Not true. The JD can throw down with any fish its size. It gets alot bulkier that most cichlids. If it grew to the size of a jag it would be a top killing cichlid. They can go crazy and be mean just like any large cichlid
I have definitely seen it both ways. Most Jacks I have seen aren't overly aggressive but can definitely defend themselves against other aggressive fish...in other words, they don't start trouble but they can end it. My dad had a Jack in with a Midevil and a 19" Silver Arowana, and he was below them both on the pecking order but he could hang with any of them...but then lately since the Midevil has passed he has been very mean like you say and has been relentlessly chasing the Convicts like he wants to kill them and as I am typing this he just went up and bit the Arowana in the side and attempted to back him into the corner...and the Silver Arowana has been EXTREMELY dominant...like Jardini-style aggressive, killing all the other fish in the tank...including the 9" Midevil...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store