Breeding Jaguar Cichlids

Nick102881

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Hey everyone,

I have some questions about breeding a pair of jaguar cichlids. Here is my situation:

I have a large male jaguar (10 inches plus) and a smaller female jaguar (5 inches). They are both alone together in my 90 gallon tank set up with gravel, texas holey rock, slate rock, and fake plants. I have provided the female plenty of areas that only she can fit into so that she can escape from the male. So far however, the male has been quite gentle with her considering his size. They have been together for about a week now. The female is not afraid of the male as she swims along side of him, rubs against him and so on. They are now both brushing up against a large piece of slate rock placed in the tank and they have been doing so for couple of days. I do not see any eggs thus far however.

Is there anything I could do to "spark" spawning? I did a relatively large water change when I first put the female in the tank (this past weekend). The water is quite clean and I turned the temp to 82 degrees. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help...

chevylife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
seattle
Sound like your already doing everything correctly. I would contiue to do water changes at least weekly and keep an eye on them. They may get a little rough with each other, but don't get overly protective unless she really gets beat up. It sounds like they are starting to do the courting thing and slowly becoming a pair. Good luck.

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
With my Jags, I used to step up the water changes& fatten them up with panfish worms, they would do the rest.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Nick102881

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Thanks guys,

I feed the them cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms. I will continue to do water changes weekly as you suggested. We shall see I suppose.

Thanks again for your help,
Nick

DISCIPLE

Candiru
MFK Member
I TURN MY TEMPS UP TO 84-86 AFTER I DO A WATER CHANGE. I ALSO FEED LIVE FOODS LIKE NIGHTCRAWLERS OR CRAYFISH AS A BREEDING TRIGGER. IT WORKS FOR ME. SOUNDS AS THOUGH THEY HAVE FORMED A PAIR AND ARE CLEANING OFF THE SLATE SO AS TO SPAWN ON. GOOD LUCK.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
gonna sound crazy but do a large watterchange now that she is aclimated and turn the temp down to around 74 or 75 degrese watter doesnt just heat back up instantly it cools down some in the rainy season. and it should trigger them to start breeding. i had a pair i caught in florida and every water change they would breed if it was under 80 degrese

Nick102881

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Hey Fellas,

My male jaguar has been showing some strange signs of aggression toward my female. He is constantly bumping into her, nipping at her, and directing her into different positions of the tank. He has not nor will he flat out bit her or seriously try to hurt her (yet anyway). The strange thing is, the female doesn't necessarily go for cover. She keeps trying to swim with him and follow him around the tank. She could easily go and hide under the many rocks in my tank. He only chases her when she keeps getting close to him. At time, they also swim up and down together in a corner of the tank and then he will chase her away. Is this courting type behavior? I figured those of you who have mated jags in the past might recognzie this odd behavior. Just wondering...

thanks,
ND

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Nick102881;4868536; said:
Hey Fellas,

My male jaguar has been showing some strange signs of aggression toward my female. He is constantly bumping into her, nipping at her, and directing her into different positions of the tank. He has not nor will he flat out bit her or seriously try to hurt her (yet anyway). The strange thing is, the female doesn't necessarily go for cover. She keeps trying to swim with him and follow him around the tank. She could easily go and hide under the many rocks in my tank. He only chases her when she keeps getting close to him. At time, they also swim up and down together in a corner of the tank and then he will chase her away. Is this courting type behavior? I figured those of you who have mated jags in the past might recognzie this odd behavior. Just wondering...

thanks,
ND

That's breeding behavior. Anal nudging....and if they are going to breed, you will see it soon. The ovipositor on the female should be obvious at this point. Do a large (50-75%) change and bump the temperature up.

Look like this?

Nick102881

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Hey there,

These pictures look exactly like my jags. I mean literally the exact pair. Interesting. Ok, I just did another water change this past weekend. I do not notice the ovipositor on the female at this point however. I will continue to monitor the situation.

Thanks

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
It has already started it sounds like.... but for future refrence they sure fire why I have found to trigger a spwan every single time has been everything that has bee suggested, but in a cetrain order. I always go with a fast first. 2 or 3 days to clean out there system. Then I feed really heavy for about a week and a half. When this period is there I feed only blood worms, earthworms, and home raised gut loaded guppys. Then I do a big like 50% w/c but with cool water to simulate the rainy season. I let the tank heat back up to the normal 79 degrees and sit there for a 24 hours then I bump it up to 82. This has worked for me for the last 6 or so years. Prior to that I just did a W/C and feed high protien foods and that worked about 50% of the time... but folowing this new (now old) meathod has givin me an almost 100% success rate... good luck with the eggs and hopefully fry that sound like are on the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store