Tools for MFK DIY types!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
I worked up a compilation of various "tools" I use at work and have been using more and more lately as I finally begin designing my tank stand. Feel free to view or download. All are either by me, free to download or free to use online.

PVC Pipe Fittings Dimensional Data (for a clearer, larger version, click HERE to download PDF file). This might be useful if you want to sketch out your filtration piping:

If you see other common fittings that could/should be added, let me know please.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This small file is an amazing conversion tool! Find the volume of your tank in gallons(litres) if you only know length, width and height. Convert from SAE to Metric, Farenheit to Celsius, Pressure, Flow, Mass...etc! I use it everyday. It's free to download. Click HERE to be directed to download:

Most of these are known already, but I am adding them anyway :) The following are all links to useful tools for DIY projects:

Glass Thickness Calculator

Electric Requirements per Tank
(This gives you basic information on what size heater, lighting and filtration your tank needs. It should be used as a REFERENCE ONLY! Stocking levels, types of livestock, water parameters, etc will all effect these items dramatically. ALWAYS ask MFK members to get the best recommendations possible :D

Electrical Costs to Operate Tank
(To follow the above Electric Requirements per tank, this useful calculator will estimate your yearly cost to operate your tank. You will need to know your locate KW/HR electrical rate...which should be published on your utility company's website. This is actually a pretty cool tool if you want to know if you'll be able to keep the lights on when you finally get that monster tank finished lol!)

Water Change Calculator
(This one is interesting and probably controversial. ALWAYS test your water parameters yourself and follow your water change schedule based on your needs. There is no one rule in this hobby that applies to all situations all the time. Having said that, this tool is sort of cool! Here is a screen shot with some made up parameters. Basically, this is showing that even with 30% water changes every week, this tank is losing ground to Nitrate levels):

If you know of any other cool tools, post away!

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
cool, thanks for posting

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
You're welcome. Hopefully the are useful to someone someday!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Thank you and thanks for the sticky! If the fitting drawing needs anything added, please let me know. I was thinking maybe adding PVC ball valves. I also have a spreadsheet that calculates pressure drop through piping. It would be useful for sizing sump pumps, etc. But, it's an Excel spreadsheet and I know not everyone has Office on their PC. I might try converting it so it will run on OpenOffice. I wish I knew more about Java/Flash, etc.

Hopefully we can add more as time goes on!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Once you download it, it's on your hard drive. There is no set up needed. Save it to your desktop and you'll always have access to it :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store