New tank picked up, 180 gallons for turtle(s)

Kaerey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2011
Colorado (Fort Collins)
Just picked up a custom glass 6' x 2' x 2' tank that we want to use for a turtle or turtles. The wife and I knew we needed a "big" tank for turtles so we found this on Craigslist with custom stand, and all accessories need for a Freshwater Fish tank (rocks, under gravel filter, plants heaters, 10gal quarantine tank and accessories) for $350. We thought it was a good deal. It had 2 HOB filters.

So we are wanting to put in turtles. We are thinking this one "might" be big enough for a full sized red eared slider, or at least something like a map turtle.

I have a feeling that the HOB filters won't work for this so we would love any recommendations on what type of filtration to use. We are planning on using about 12-18" of water. So anywhere from 90-135 gallons of water.

This is a 2nd Birthday present to our little boy (and his mommy). They Both LOVE turtles.

Any other suggestions on what we need for this would also be appreciated.

Kaerey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2011
Colorado (Fort Collins)
Actually, I just went out side to get exact measurements for a stand and finding a place in the house and it turns out it's 6' x 22" x 22" so only about 150 gallons. guess that's what I get for not measuring before I buy.

My Plan is to have a Fluval FX5, with the intake on one end and the return on the opposite. The side with the intake, build a custom waterfall/basking area with another smaller pump. We plan on having the water filled about 2/3 of the way or about 15" giving us about 100 gallons of water. Was going to use a fine sand substrate or possible flourite sand to grow some food for the turtles in the tank.

We have a Reptile Humane Society in our area that doesn't have an adoption fee on aquatic turtles, so we are going to go there and see what they have, but are looking for 2 Map Turtles or possible RES (I'm worried about adult size in this width) or something that likes a brackish environment. I'd love a Mata Mata but don't think I I'll be able to get one in this area.

We are then going to try to add some fish, as I would love to have some Archer Fish and then install a branch structure across the top of the open area for the fish to hunt.

My big concern is the depth of the water and the FX5 working correctly, as the video instructions say the water level can't be more then 7.9" from the lip of the tank? Anyone know the reason for that measurement?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Sounds like a nice little project. So is the tank pre-drilled for the FX5? If so then you shouldn't have to worry about the water level. But if it's not, it needs gravity to work properly hence the water depth rule.

Kaerey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2011
Colorado (Fort Collins)
Vicious_Fish;4848841; said:
Sounds like a nice little project. So is the tank pre-drilled for the FX5? If so then you shouldn't have to worry about the water level. But if it's not, it needs gravity to work properly hence the water depth rule.
No the glass is not drilled. Right now the plan would be to have the water level at about 7" below the lip, and the FX5 below the tank of course.

I still need to build a stand and a hood to cover the basking lights. and other things across the top so I have a lot of time to get the ideal setup for our soon to be new inhabitants.

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
A tank that size would be great for a full grown RES, the general rule of thumb for turtles is 10G per inch of shell :)

Just a note though, fish will probably be eaten. Most turtles rely on them as a large portion of their diet, even sliders and maps are adept at hunting them.

Paul

Kaerey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2011
Colorado (Fort Collins)
paul112;4849390; said:
A tank that size would be great for a full grown RES, the general rule of thumb for turtles is 10G per inch of shell :)

Just a note though, fish will probably be eaten. Most turtles rely on them as a large portion of their diet, even sliders and maps are adept at hunting them.

Paul
Thanks! Do think 100gallons of water would be enough for 2 full grown RES? It's looking like our best bet might be to help out with the abandoned pet population and take 1 or 2 from the local reptile humane society rather than buying new from a store.

They currently have several RES, a Yellow Bellied Slider, and some Asian Soft-shelled.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Kaerey;4849406; said:
Thanks! Do think 100gallons of water would be enough for 2 full grown RES? It's looking like our best bet might be to help out with the abandoned pet population and take 1 or 2 from the local reptile humane society rather than buying new from a store.

They currently have several RES, a Yellow Bellied Slider, and some Asian Soft-shelled.
Males are a little smaller, so you could maybe get away with a couple with a lot of filtration. A couple females would probably need more room

ramcharger1979

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Boise, ID
Males are a lot smaller than the females. The thing to watch with the males is the fighting. I have a male RES and a male Map in a 55 gal and they have plenty of room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store