Rotkeil / Redneck Severums ...

rusland005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here, there, everywhere.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site but i'm also new to keeping severums, i have ordered a pair (male and female) Rotkeil / Redneck severums, , sized around 5-6 inches, i've done research on severums recently but is there anything i should know about them or something that would help to keep them in their best condition? .. I've been told shell fishfood like cockles and muscles are good for them ..

My tank is 5ft by 1.5ft wide by 2 ft high and i'm running a FX5 on it. Tank mates would be a pair of Bosami Rainbows and a pair of Congo Tetras, maybe a pearl geo

Thanks in advance

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
just keep up with your water changes, other than that not really anything special to keeping em. If I were you i'd add another 3-6 congo tetras to have a nice school.

rusland005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here, there, everywhere.
What sort of water change on a weekly basis would be good for them? 20% or so?

I've wanted to keep Severums for a while now but haven't had the chance to purchase anything that were of a decent size .. 4 inches plus. This new pair are going to be costing me £110 for the pair and that is me getting something off the orginal price. It seems steep to me but they are lovely looking fish, due to the rice alone i'm especially not wanting anything to happen to them to begin with

I purchased another pair of congos not that long ago for another tank but they weren't looking half as good as the ones i already owned, the new ones i got were almost see-through from the middle to the back of the fish, very short fins etc, from a LFS that normally stocks quality fish as well so it put me off ..

What sort of fish would make good tank mates for these new Rotkeils?
I already have a juvenvile firemouth that i would like to add in at a later date.

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
Nice choice.

I also have 4 rotkeil, 2 redline, 2 raspberry face and 1 super red. They are juvies tho but I paid 2 bucks each, they are about 2.5 inches now.

Good luck and post some pics when you have them!

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
Im not sure what works but with my sevs they love the granules.

brookers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2010
UK
as well as the usual pellets and frozen they like some veggies, romaine lettuce etc.

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
brookers;4859897; said:
as well as the usual pellets and frozen they like some veggies, romaine lettuce etc.

Yes, yes, yes. The biggest mistake most owners of omnivorous cichlids make is not givng their fish enough vegetable matter in their diet. Their natural diet probably is a majority of veg matter and some animal proteins, not the other way round. The veg matter helps keep their guts and general health in the best condition. Many cichlids can be prone to bloat, constipation and intestinal parasites if they don't get enough fibre in their diet.
Try shelled peas, lettuce, cucumber, or there are a variety of veggie pellets on the market. Hikari excel is good.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A quality pellet food that contains a decent quantity of vegetable matter is more than adequate at keeping Rotkeils healthy, and in good breeding condition. No real need to feed fresh vegetables, but you can if you like.

Both fish shown below were raised on New Life Spectrum.

Male

Female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store