Red-Claw Crab
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    dorothy
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 12:51 PM

Redtail Catfish NOT eating??????

Hi everyone i was just wondering if you could help me my redtail catfish is not eating. we have tested the water the nitrite, nitrate are zero, ammonia is zero put the ph is a bit low. We have been doing regular water changes and been putting in ph stabilisher but its not working.
    He is in a 6ft tank at mo put building a pond for him. He is 22 inchs long and he normally eats sprats but hes not interested at all hes swimming round as normal but not interested in food at all any answers would be appreciated thanks dot.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    05-09-2014 6:22 PM
    could be stress, when a fish gets too big for a tank, they get stressed, and it happens often. i would say if you could get the pond done sooner, he needs more space. thats just my 2 cents.
    looking for motoro, henlei, hystrix, or retic rays 4-6" disk.
    looking for Brachyplatysoma Juruense, and Marbled Pim.
    a penny for my thoughts oh no i'll sell em for a dollar theyre worth so much more after i'm a gonner and maybe then you'll hear the words that i've been singin' its funny when your dead how people start listenin' "The Band Perry" -If i die young

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-22-2014 2:06 PM
    i agree probably stress..if its a 6 ft tank its probably a 100 or 125 gallon and they are ussually 18" front to back and him being 22" he wont beable to move around freely and will stress big time...you should get him moved to something bigger real soon
    140g AC wall tank

Datnoid
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-09-2014 9:22 AM
    Is this a heavily planted tank? I am surprised at 0 nitrates.

Are you using a liquid test kit?

Red-Claw Crab
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    dorothy
    Last Activity
    Thanks people we are trying to get the pond done asap and we have no plants in he tank and yes we are using liquid test kit.

Datnoid
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    10-06-2013 4:08 AM
    i don't believe your 0 nitrate reading either

if this is the API kit you need to shake bottle 2 really hard, slam it on the table a few times, because the actual agents that do the test like to solidify inside there, and you need to get it back into suspension before running the test

Banned
    Usergroup
    Banned
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Last Activity
    12-05-2011 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dorothy_9;4863677;
    Hi everyone i was just wondering if you could help me my redtail catfish is not eating. we have tested the water the nitrite, nitrate are zero, ammonia is zero put the ph is a bit low. We have been doing regular water changes and been putting in ph stabilisher but its not working.
    He is in a 6ft tank at mo put building a pond for him. He is 22 inchs long and he normally eats sprats but hes not interested at all hes swimming round as normal but not interested in food at all any answers would be appreciated thanks dot.
    To raise the PH, I always use baking soda- its cheaper, and seems to work better IMO.

As for him not eating, it could be that he is simply tired of the same foods.

I have a RTxTSN and he stopped eating, and I couldn't figure out what the issue was because he wouldn't eat anything... massive, shrimp, fish.. nothing.

I dropped in some shrimp pellets one day, and he's been hooked. Always at the top of the tank when it's time for food.

Red-Claw Crab
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    dorothy
    Last Activity
    Thanks for the advice on trying him with different food. We have tryed him with rainb ow trout cause he likes that he ate 1 piece and since then he wont ahve anything but we are doing his pond asap now so we can get him there as quick as we can.

Red-Claw Crab
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    dorothy
    Last Activity
    Hi everyone thanks for the advice i have got him eating again and he is a lot better thankyou. Me and my husband have now started the pond. We will put up pics soon.

Feeder Goldfish
    Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    12-07-2013 1:00 PM
    What was the reason he wasn't eating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast