Redtail Catfish NOT eating??????

dorothy_9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2011
daventry
Hi everyone i was just wondering if you could help me my redtail catfish is not eating. we have tested the water the nitrite, nitrate are zero, ammonia is zero put the ph is a bit low. We have been doing regular water changes and been putting in ph stabilisher but its not working.
He is in a 6ft tank at mo put building a pond for him. He is 22 inchs long and he normally eats sprats but hes not interested at all hes swimming round as normal but not interested in food at all any answers would be appreciated thanks dot.

Reactions: StudentofSeijoh

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
could be stress, when a fish gets too big for a tank, they get stressed, and it happens often. i would say if you could get the pond done sooner, he needs more space. thats just my 2 cents.

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
i agree probably stress..if its a 6 ft tank its probably a 100 or 125 gallon and they are ussually 18" front to back and him being 22" he wont beable to move around freely and will stress big time...you should get him moved to something bigger real soon

dorothy_9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2011
daventry
Thanks people we are trying to get the pond done asap and we have no plants in he tank and yes we are using liquid test kit.

philfreenode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
Washington
i don't believe your 0 nitrate reading either

if this is the API kit you need to shake bottle 2 really hard, slam it on the table a few times, because the actual agents that do the test like to solidify inside there, and you need to get it back into suspension before running the test

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
dorothy_9;4863677; said:
Hi everyone i was just wondering if you could help me my redtail catfish is not eating. we have tested the water the nitrite, nitrate are zero, ammonia is zero put the ph is a bit low. We have been doing regular water changes and been putting in ph stabilisher but its not working.
He is in a 6ft tank at mo put building a pond for him. He is 22 inchs long and he normally eats sprats but hes not interested at all hes swimming round as normal but not interested in food at all any answers would be appreciated thanks dot.
To raise the PH, I always use baking soda- its cheaper, and seems to work better IMO.

As for him not eating, it could be that he is simply tired of the same foods.

I have a RTxTSN and he stopped eating, and I couldn't figure out what the issue was because he wouldn't eat anything... massive, shrimp, fish.. nothing.

I dropped in some shrimp pellets one day, and he's been hooked. Always at the top of the tank when it's time for food.

dorothy_9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2011
daventry
Thanks for the advice on trying him with different food. We have tryed him with rainb ow trout cause he likes that he ate 1 piece and since then he wont ahve anything but we are doing his pond asap now so we can get him there as quick as we can.

dorothy_9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2011
daventry
Hi everyone thanks for the advice i have got him eating again and he is a lot better thankyou. Me and my husband have now started the pond. We will put up pics soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store