*Stingray Help* with Pics!!

ben_mbu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2009
BURNABY/PITT MEADOWS, CANADA
Has anyone had experience with heater burn on Stingrays?

I think mine has gotten to close to my heaters in the past couple days.

Yes I know I am to blame for not having guards.

The one spot looks very white. The other still looks like a minor burn. ( You can still see the pattern).

i have dosed( melafix)the tank for 100G.. so 5 full caps of 10mg.

ok so here are some photos of the damage :( :( :(

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I don't have any experience with heater burn so I can't really comment on that

Is there any tank mates or decorations that could be causing the damage?

I am not a huge fan of melafix but I know some people swear by it. Just make sure to keep the water clean and monitor for secondary infections.

Is the ray still eating and behaving normally?

That is a very nice marble I hope it doesn't scar up :(

ben_mbu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2009
BURNABY/PITT MEADOWS, CANADA
thanks!

he has a datnoid/barracuda & a baby snakehead as tankmates for the moment. he is the biggest fish in the tank. as for decor , i have left him with alot of open space. keeping the plants towards the corners. he likes to hang out in the current alot , which was where the heater was. I have now moved both heaters away from the outflow.

i am most worried for scaring. :( :(

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Not sure whether heater burns or tank mates but you need to be sure. I persnally am not a fan of
melafix or pimafix. I would just treat with 1lb of salt per 100g and maintain pristine water and it should
heal up just fine. As for as scarring it really depends on how bad/deep the damage is.

Nice Marble by the way.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
I think he will be fine, I have seen a ray recover from MUCH worse heater burns. Scaring wasnt to bad on that ray, just some minor distortions of its pattern if you knew where to look. Just keep an eye on him and have some anti bacteria meds on hand incase of infection.

Also can't be positive thats heater burn, could be but might be tank mates. Make sure and get a guard on that heater, if you see anymore burns you know its a tankmate.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
use salt! not sea salt, you can use aquarium salt or water softener salt if its 99% pure salt.($4 for 50 lbs) not the pellets, I use kroger solar salt for water softeners. works great for injuries. and disolve it first it will burn the rays disc! and snakehead is kinda risky....

solara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
CAN
if you want to know which med to use, go look up one of my recent thread "list of med that r safe for rays". there are several med could work for rays. It looks like it got attacked from tank mate than heater burn. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store