Lighting/Metal Halide Q's

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Hey all,
Just a quick question. My wife and I are getting ready to jump back into the salt water hobby. I am setting up a 45 g. tank. Dimensions are 36"x12"x24". I plan on housing a pair of true Percula clownfish, an anenome (eventually), a clam (maxima or cocrea...again eventually), and some other fish that would be appropriate for the tank.

My questions are:

Will a 150 watt metal halide be adequate to reach the bottom of the tank for the clam and anemone, or will I need to bump up to a 250 watt halide? I will suppliment it with two t5 actinic retros on each side in the canopy.

Where is the cheapest place to buy a metal halide retro kit that will fit my needs. I have been out of the hobby for a while so I am not sure if things have changed.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
First off, love your fronts.

Wish I had time to get a large colony tank going again.

Secondly I think you should be okay with a 150w.

As far as the retro fits, I have never really done that.

I usually recommend www.aquatraders.com or www.fishneedit.com for buying cheap lights for aquariums though if you are interested.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
it depends. for most medium light corals id say yes. but are planning an anemome and clams, both require high lighting and the clam will most likely be on the bottom.

if u plan on doing any sps corals then i would go with the 250w for sure. the clam and amemone will like the 250 also.

my tank is only 20" deep and 28gal with some sps and lps corals and an amenone. currently im running led lighting but i am switching to a 150w 20k mh and 36w actinics.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Would 4" make that much of a difference? I am just worried that a jump to a higher wattage would cause the need for a chiller, which is expensive!

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
its not just the height that makes a difference. gallonage comes into play also.

how about a 175w?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
aquatraders has some great prices on lighting. i bought there 18" mh fixture for my jbj nano 28.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store