Lets talk about cheapo knock off ebay canisters...

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
So, anyone using these? I've been shopping for a canister and I noticed ebay's got some clones...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Canist...234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c1a98aea

This looks like a FLUVAL clone...

There's the "JABAO" brands which look like EHIEM knock offs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-STAGE-JEBAO-A...521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364e327a9

There are some others too...I assume that the fittings are cheaply made and that the pumps aren't great quality...but maybe I'm wrong? that first canister (the fluval clone) looks decent, and I've read some decent reviews...what do you think?

MChorse13

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
california
i have the one in the first link i really like it. although you have to be careful with the lid i broke mine but i got it replaced

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
how long have you owned it? My concerns are "longevity"

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
Most of the time you see a big price difference is cause of BRANDING... but wearing an Adidas polo shirt, and a normal polo shirt... would basically be giving you same experience..but different experiences when you view the brand "Adidas"

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
I've had a CFS 500 for 5 months, It's got really good flow for the money. I, like everyone else who's bought one, have broken the lid, but they replaced it free of charge. You just need to give this bad boy a couple of mods, you can find a few threads on here for directions.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I've owned one of the Jebao's for 13 months now. Its been running the whole time, and I've only cleaned it 3 times. I've never had as much as a hiccup from it. It doesn't seem to lose much in the way of flow as it gets more clogged, but it does lose some. It is fairly easy to clean. I just bought the second one last week, and got it set up on Thursday. Its already completely cleared up the water in the tank its on.

They are easy to setup, easy to start, easy to maintenance, and easy to restart.

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
I assumed most of it was branding, I'd even admit possibly cheaper components, but most of you are saying they are completely on par with "branded" ones, which seems crazy that the markup is that high for a "name brand canister"

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I'm sure that the cheaper ones are probably made to looser standards, have less quality testing, and are probably made with slightly cheaper parts. But really, they're just making a watertight box and sticking a pump in it. Its not really that difficult to do nowadays, you know?

And for the price, if you get a few years out of it, it was probably worth it. Especially if you can't really afford to shell out for a brand new top of the line Eheim or FX5 (which I will probably buy 2 of when I get my tax return). They don't really have that many breakable pieces in them, and most leaks can be fixed by changing out a standard sized o-ring. You're basically getting a decent canister filter for the price of an average return pump...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store