2 Indos digging the substract in a corner

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I have been witnessing an interesting behaviour.

A 10-11" and a 9" indo have been digging (cleaning..?) the substract, in a corner of the tank. and have been hanging out together.

Here you may see the pics I took 5 minutes ago, immediately after feeding. They ate a piece of shrimp each and then got back to the corner.

As you can see in the 1sr pic, they pushed the 2" of pool sand away from that corner and cleaned down to glass (if you see close, they´re both there, laying side by side).

Have you seen this before ? I only read about it once.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I dont know a lot about datnoids, but cichlids will do that just to rearrange their tank.

It is also called substrate by the way. :)

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Never seen my Dats mess with substrate.....Doubt they are breeding....never know I guess......i have no clue what the Dat breeding ritual is!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Greg31;4898916; said:
It is also called substrate by the way. :)

Love the need to teach..

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Wow! Exciting developements there. Did one of the two develope a belly (gained a lot of weight) recently? How old are they?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Loubard;4899098; said:
Wow! Exciting developements there. Did one of the two develope a belly (gained a lot of weight) recently? How old are they?
Very interesting.Keep an eye on things there,you never what could be going on.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
This is normal behaviour to me...
A few years ago I used to have 1.5 -2 inch of sand. If the sand is deep enough , my tigers would dig a hole and try to form a sort of hiding spot.

Loubard:> fromyour post, sounds like u think the tigers might be showing breeding behaviour. I Doubt this as they are still quite young , based on their size. I would say/ guess that 15 inch is nearer sexual maturity for indo or St. If that is not what u meant when posting then forget what i said bro.

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Ade;4899442; said:
Loubard:> fromyour post, sounds like u think the tigers might be showing breeding behaviour. I Doubt this as they are still quite young , based on their size. I would say/ guess that 15 inch is nearer sexual maturity for indo or St. If that is not what u meant when posting then forget what i said bro.
I know that the chances of them breeding at this point in time is slim. My thought where more with the chance of them mating up. Anyway, it would be nice if you could keep us updated if anything else happens :)

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Loubard;4905888; said:
I know that the chances of them breeding at this point in time is slim. My thought where more with the chance of them mating up. Anyway, it would be nice if you could keep us updated if anything else happens :)
I will.
The only relevant thing to report is that I closed back the hole this Saturday when I did the WC (just to see what happened) and on Sunday morning it was there, again, in the exact same spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store