What To Do With Adopted Oscar

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, Folks.

So, I go to my local Petco store. I see an Oscar in bad condition, though not as bad as the rest. So, again, I feel sorry for it because its tankmate looks extremely emaciated and all of its Oscar neighbors (in another tank) have hith (quite noticeably so, especially in the albinos). I don't want to adopt a very sick Oscar, but I don't want this particular Oscar to suffer the fate of its buddies.

My silly heart gets the best out of my even sillier brain, and I buy it. I put it in a quarantine tank, where it's been for three days on the way to fourteen. Once it proves healthy, what do I do with it? Do I put it temporarily in a 10 gallon tank and let it feed for a while off the fish there? In my 30 gallon tank and let it taste rummynose, hatchetfish, and ram meat? Naw, although compassion seems to be a close friend to cruelty.

Anyway, should I put it in a 125-gallon tank with a silver arowana (8")? The Oscar is about 3" and is now well-proportioned. I don't expect the arowana, who has never tasted live flesh, to eat it, but you never know. Will the Oscar bother the arowana? It would certainly wreck my plants, eventually.

In a few months, I plan to get a 3' wide tank for the arowana...

How soon before an Oscar reveals its personality as a nasty or relatively peaceful cichlid? Will my aro (and bichir and pleco and balas and hybrid parrot) be safe from a possibly nasty-tempered Oscar for, say, 10 months? Or, should I see into getting a 55-g tank for the Oscar?

I am considering two possibilities, then--putting the Oscar in a 125 with the tankmates I mentioned or getting a 55 and put it there until it outgrows it. My preference is the first one... What kinds of experiences have you foks had with young oscars and tankmates such as the ones I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Masa

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Oscars are generally peaceful for about the first year of their lives, then they reach sexual maturity and they change. With that said, you have a lot of fish in your tank so I would get a larger tank ASAP.

Heppy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
my 3" oscar took the eyes outta my 6" jardini don't risk it wait till the aro can defend itself like when its 12"

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the advice.

I pointed a light to the head of the oscar, and there was a small crater somewhat equidistant to the eyes and the nostrils. I should have looked, more closely, before. So, the 125 is out. Fortunately, I had put it in a tank by itself.

If a young jardini can be bullied by an oscar, I won't risk it and try any oscars with the silver.

Yeah, I think the tank is already overloaded, but not with the current sizes. I should be getting a larger tank in a few months.

I am thinking of starting another tank with the oscar, however.

Masa

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Masa_Rov said:
Hi, Folks.

So, I go to my local Petco store. I see an Oscar in bad condition, though not as bad as the rest. So, again, I feel sorry for it because its tankmate looks extremely emaciated and all of its Oscar neighbors (in another tank) have hith (quite noticeably so, especially in the albinos). I don't want to adopt a very sick Oscar, but I don't want this particular Oscar to suffer the fate of its buddies.

My silly heart gets the best out of my even sillier brain, and I buy it. I put it in a quarantine tank, where it's been for three days on the way to fourteen. Once it proves healthy, what do I do with it? Do I put it temporarily in a 10 gallon tank and let it feed for a while off the fish there? In my 30 gallon tank and let it taste rummynose, hatchetfish, and ram meat? Naw, although compassion seems to be a close friend to cruelty.

Anyway, should I put it in a 125-gallon tank with a silver arowana (8")? The Oscar is about 3" and is now well-proportioned. I don't expect the arowana, who has never tasted live flesh, to eat it, but you never know. Will the Oscar bother the arowana? It would certainly wreck my plants, eventually.

In a few months, I plan to get a 3' wide tank for the arowana...

How soon before an Oscar reveals its personality as a nasty or relatively peaceful cichlid? Will my aro (and bichir and pleco and balas and hybrid parrot) be safe from a possibly nasty-tempered Oscar for, say, 10 months? Or, should I see into getting a 55-g tank for the Oscar?

I am considering two possibilities, then--putting the Oscar in a 125 with the tankmates I mentioned or getting a 55 and put it there until it outgrows it. My preference is the first one... What kinds of experiences have you foks had with young oscars and tankmates such as the ones I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Masa
Oscars i do know something about and to be perfectly honest i would have A Oscar on it's own in a 55gal tank any thing smaller is too small but as you have stated you have him in your hospital tank now and he's 3" if you can keep him in the tank until he hits 5" you can then put him in to your 55gal and he will grow very fastly, From the 55gal if you wanted to add morer Oscars my recomendation to you would be get a bigger tank and add 25gal to each Oscar you would like to keep with the original fish.

Example:

1x Oscar 50gal
2x Oscar's 75/80 Gal
3x Oscar's 100/125 gal (to be safe)

Also leave plenty of swimming space and plenty of open gravel for there digging habbits.

Any more queeries please pm me and i'll be happy to answer your questions if nobody else can.

P.S

Oscar's do have a reputation for been bully's so do bear that in mind matey.

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you, Dan.

I will look into 55 g tanks. (I am afraid anything larger won't fit well in my plans, especially as I am looking into a 90 cm. wide for the arowana. I would then sell the 125 g.)

Would one oscar and a geophagus brazilienzis do well in a 55, or will it have to be only an oscar?

Masa

BloodredOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
It will eat it. Despite what everyone say's, i had a 4" oscar in a 150g with a 8" aro. Got eaten in 2 day's.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
seriously, this trend of bumping ancient threads is getting incredibly annoying.

ITS 3 YEARS OLD!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store