Baby ST making a comeback?

prskiller

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
In a 10g tank w/wife n kids
So are they making a comeback or just a one off fluke with a bit of luck? I see 10 here and 40 over on w@ter wolves. Either someone got lucky fishing or are breeding them.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
These are supposed to be a different geographic variant of D. Pulcher. The original true widebar siamese dat is from the Chaopraya in Thailand. Those are said to be extinct in the wild. The new ones are supposed to be D. Pulcher from the Cambodia region.

Whether they are really Pulcher from Cambodia, or just hand-picked 3-bar Indos is highly debated :)

Sickfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Tijuana Mexico
jcardona1;4927304; said:
These are supposed to be a different geographic variant of D. Pulcher. The original true widebar siamese dat is from the Chaopraya in Thailand. Those are said to be extinct in the wild. The new ones are supposed to be D. Pulcher from the Cambodia region.

Whether they are really Pulcher from Cambodia, or just hand-picked 3-bar Indos is highly debated :)
Yes! True! I'm thinking there hand picked indos! But we will see how this plays out!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
This is what I posted in another thread recently:

I said the same a while back when EZCS was selling those 'wide bars'. Wish the thread wouldn't have gotten deleted cause there was a lot of good info there. Anywho, I'm with you on this one.

The old school true 'widebar' or true 'ST' is the one from, Chaopraya, Thailand. These new ones we're seeing are Pulcher from cambodia/vietnman. This is the reason why i hate common names.

To this day, both of these still classified as d. Pulcher. I dont see how one is the real-deal and one is not. Sure, the pulcher from thailand may have some traits that are more desirable than those of cambodia/vietnam, but it's still the same species.

With the possible extinction of the Chaopraya pulcher it will be pretty hard to come up with new evidence that would labels these fish as two different species.

And what makes this even more difficult is the public's opinion on what a 'widebar' really is. Everybody has an image in their mind that a widebar/ST should look like the thailand Pulcher. and many would be quick to dismiss the Cambodian pulcher as just a 'nice 3-bar indo', and this isnt correct IMO. they are both Pulcher, and they are both 'widebars'. i think it's just a geographic variant.

And again I refer to this pic, because it is very accurate. Notice the two types of Pulcher with the red arrow. Both are D. Pulcher yet show some difference in the stipe patterns. They come from the same general area. Like I say, geographic differences. BUT at the same time, look at the lower left hand fish. This chart shows two geographical variants of the Indo, depending on where they're collected. The one in the bottom left corner is the '3-bar indo' that we see also. This is what causes the confusion. The 3 bar indo looks a lot alike the Cambodian Pulcher.

Another old photo, translation says both are D. Pulcher, with different number of stripes. These aren't indos

As for the OPs fish, that's for the buyer to decide. Look at the charts, look at old photos, and decide what you want to do with your money ;)

lilolmedn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Austin, Texas
I'd love to see one in a few years full grown... noone seems to have pics of one of these guys yet that are larger than 5"

Time will tell..

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
lilolmedn;4927415; said:
I'd love to see one in a few years full grown... noone seems to have pics of one of these guys yet that are larger than 5"

Time will tell..
Check out hansonboys thread/video in the dat media lounge.:popcorn:

shua71;4927530; said:
400+ for a small fish. Wonder how long until they're all wiped out in this new location..
Good point.Not only for the pet trade,they are also highly regarded as a food fish.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Last year around this time +/- 3 months, baby indo's were flowing every where.

All these baby indo's should be around 5" now. I know this because I bought 25 baby indo's myself and grew them out.

Now, approximately 1 year later there are baby ST's all being the 5" that most indo should be from last year.

This makes me belive that the baby ST's that are flowing now happen to be hand selected baby indo's from last year.

This is just my observation and not fact by any means.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
bomber;4927645; said:
Last year around this time +/- 3 months, baby indo's were flowing every where.

All these baby indo's should be around 5" now. I know this because I bought 25 baby indo's myself and grew them out.

Now, approximately 1 year later there are baby ST's all being the 5" that most indo should be from last year.

This makes me belive that the baby ST's that are flowing now happen to be hand selected baby indo's from last year.

This is just my observation and not fact by any means.
That does make sense.

Stability is pretty much the only argument I see used. Anybody see a tank full of these guys?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store