Can Swordtails and Mollies breed?

Diamund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Michigan
I run a small pet shop and recently had someone come in (willing to argue their point) and inform me that "lyre-tail mollies are a hybrid of swordtails and mollies". I was not aware that this was even possible.
I have heard that mollies and guppies can breed and the same for platies and swordtails, but never that swords can breed with mollies.
Help?
I am asking this question more to gain information that to argue a point. I try to be as informed as possible on the fish I sell and would rather dissuade someone from buying a fish than sell them a fish that will do poorly in their set-up.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
No, this is not the case at all, that person was poorly informed. Lyretail mollies are just a genetic mutation of the molly species. Swordtails and platys are of the same family, and mollies and guppies/endlers are of the same family. Outside of those families, they can not mix, but there are plenty of swordplatys and muppies out there.

Diamund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Michigan
That is what I was thinking, especially with the different species aspect. Haha.
But, stranger things have happened.....and will continue to happen :-S
Thank you!

m1maniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2010
uk
but mollies guppys swordtails do from time to time xbreed but 99% they either are sterile or just dont survive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store