needle-nose gar, anyone got one?

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
From my understanding, these are not even gars. It's an Asian fish that looks like a gar with a long skinny toothy mouth, and grows to about a foot.

They had some when I went to get my wolf fish, about the same length, and I liked it, but decided against it because it was so skinny it looked like it would be bitten in half if I put it in with my hoplias.

Has anyone kept one? What are they like?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
i had two of them very interesting fish. They don't grow very large but are tough fish. i'd watch what you put them with. they will eat any fish smaller then them.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the info, but somehow I doubt they'd eat my wolf fish even if they were bigger :D

Do you know the scientific name for them? And did you feed them live or frozen/dried?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
not sure of the proper name. i fed mine live feeders. thats all mine would eat for me. i'm sure you could get one to eat other things. i had one just about a foot and he would swallow about a 2 1/2 inch goldfish with no problem.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Did they seem like tough fish that could defend themselves? What else were they in with?

I'm just wondering if one could survive with my wolf if he was at least the same size.

My wolf is 6.5 inches and the other day he swallowed a catfish that must have been almost 4 inches long :D

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
THe two at work eat anything...feeder rosies, the red eyed tetras in with them, krill, bloodworms, you name it. Pretty awesome fish.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
My needle nose was in a 75 gallon with a pacu, 2 large tinfoil barbs, he ate the smaller ones. a Tiger shovelnose and an angelica. The tank worked well until for some reason everything got sick and died,except for my tsn. but the needle nose was by far my favorite. all the other fish were the same size or larger. The needle nose was the king of the tank. :grinno:

evilfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
england
its not a gar. cheers YOULOOKLIKEAFISH coz thats its latin name. obviously it aint a gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store