My 25G Paludarium comments love / hate?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Well, after a month of planning, buying things and slowly putting it together, here is my first attempt at building a paludarium... just waiting for the water to clear and then ready to get some fish, shrimp and mayber a nerite snail...

Side Note: there is actually a lot of space in the back end of the tank, just the dirt in the front is piled higher to give off the illusion there is less, when there is actually more...

Anyway, feel free to comment on anything whether you like it, hate it... let me know :)

Full tank shot

Terrestrial plants

Aquatic plants

Close up of the water fall and some of the terrestrial plants

Another shot of the waterfall

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
That is awesome! If it was mine i'd definatly get some sort of frog to go in with the terrestrial plants, if you can enclose it somehow, without ruining it.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks for the comment :D, and its funny that you mentioned a frog, considering 8 out of 10 people i've talked to have told me i should get a frog...

One of them even told me to keep a grey tree frog coz it would always climb back into the tank even if it gets out so you don't have to worry about getting a lid :nilly: needless to say i ignored that advice :screwy:

Guess i should mention the setup:

1X (old) 24" Tank with top rim removed
1X Eden 511 (300 LPH) canister filter
2X 24W Glo T5HO "Life-Glo" Bulbs in Glo housing
12L of ADA Amazonia soil (for use on land and water area)
5KG of river pebbles used on land and in the water for extra aeration
roughly 3.5 pounds of Slate for water fall

Water level is about 7"-7.5" in the back (which can't be seen), and about 3" in the front...

not sure of plant names in english so can't list that i'm afraid... if any one knows the names please let me know ;)

Liquidplants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
Long Island
Love paludariums!
It looks to me like your earth area isn't high enough, you cant see the plants and they aren't hanging over the water. If you planed on them growing a lot more then ignore me =]

Did you make the waterfall yourself? It looks great!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Yeah, this tank is kinda trial and error for me, and was planted yesterday, so i guess you can say yes i'm waiting for some of my plants to (hopefully) grow larger...

And thanks for the compliment about the waterfall, i did make the make it myself... took a little bit of guess work, some luck and hell of a lot of silicone :naughty:

-EDIT-

Another quick pic of the tank from another angle...

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I am planning a paludarium in my new 41 gallon... What resources did you use for your research? There's not a ton of info out there on them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Yeah, unfortunately you're right in saying there isn't much info out there... personally i got inspiration from looking at how others on MFK and other places had built their paludariums to try and find a way to build my land area...

Then with the plants and stuff, it is 50% trial and error, and 50% advice taken from shop owners in Hong Kong who build a lot of aquascaped tanks...

Liquidplants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
Long Island
+1 for newts and frogs, but i'd make sure everything is successful first.

Also i came across this product while i was in Petco for food the other day. Looks like you could get real creative with it. It was in the reptile section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store