Derekp's Pond Build Thread...

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
I finally got around to digging my pond this past weekend. It is about a 30 ft by 17 ft hole. the deepest part is about 4 ft but I am going to put some fill sand to raise it back up to about 3 ft. The deep end runs straight up to the gazebo so I can feed my koi from the standing way. The shelf all around is 16" deep and it is also the same depth on the shallow side. I plan on making the shallow side a bog and by putting a big piece of wood under the liner to hold the sand in. There will be a waterfall on the back part of the shallow end where it has the straight line. The waterfall will look through everything right up to the house, so it is the first thing you see from the pond when you look out between the pool and gazebo. Also there will be a stream that runs to the pond between the gazebo and pool, with a little abridge going over it. There will be a waterfall next to the house where it all starts. The liner is already in the mail. Im so excited to get it going. Pics!

101_0609.JPG

101_0610.JPG

101_0611.JPG

101_0612.JPG

101_0613.JPG

101_0614.JPG

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Looking good. Ground looks like hard clay.

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Thanks guys. It is actually black dirt, with maybe a little clay mixed in. It only took a few hours to dig it out with a bobcat. I finished the bog area by hand.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Looks awesome!!

Might want to use gravel(s) for the bog. A few inches (6-10") of larger or even small 4-6" boulders on the bottom. Those should have larger gaps and the next layer of boulders will cover the joints. That will allow for water displacment through out the whole bog. Then a layer of larger gravel, we have a washed #8 stone in these parts that is about of golfballs. Then on top of that the final layer of #6 which is a stone that is 1/2"-1"+ sized that the plants can be directly planted into.

Will the bog get filled from the bottom or just from the flow of the waterfalls.

Any skimmer or BD?

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Thanks. No sunfish or any natives in this pond though I will have my albino channel cats in it.

Im going to build an actual bog filter out of wood and another small liner that will sit behind the waterfall. The water once it flows through the filter will then overflow out over the waterfall. The shallow bog end is just for growing nice plants and allowing them to spread through that area.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
See above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store