"Model 9.5b utility pump"

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
I got one of these on craigslist modded on an eheim 2260.

I found it online and it said its supposed to be 950 gallons per hour, but I tested it alone (not hooked up to filter) and it only does 225 gph. However it seems to be running fine, impeller is ok, almost silent, etc

Has anyone actually tested one new to see how many gph it gets? I'm wondering if mines broken and I should get a new one but don't want to buy a new one to find it only gets 250gph.

calioutlaw1a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
California
225gph is low. Typically filters will have about 1/2 the gph stated on the box when filled with media. Higher end filter will do better. For example, one test done by a member here (taksan) showed that the Eheim pro 3 (rated at 450gph) ran at about 319gph when loaded with media. The FX5 (rated at 925gph) ran at 526gph when loaded with media.

Edit: I see that you measured your filter's gph using a 5 gallon bucket. This is a crude measurement at best, and I wouldn't go buying another filter based on this.

calioutlaw1a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
California
The longer you time the pump, the more accurate you will be. The more accurate your measuring device, the more accurate you will be.

Try using a larger container that you know the exact volume of.

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
I did several tests and got very close to the same results every time, always within 25gph....even if I was off by 75gph...300gph from a 950 gph seems pretty bad....could you put a link to the thread you were referencing where other people tested? i'm interested to see

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store