Tropical Gar : The Singapore Order

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
IMG_1725.jpg

in light of the impending tropical gars, i've decided to start a thread for members (especially those who are in on the Sgp T-gar order to clear doubts and fire as much questions as possible in preparation for arrival of the little gars.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
While I may not be getting a tropical gar in the immediate future, I had a few questions that others might also be curious about because they're not clearly stated in the Gar Captive Care Guide.

• What are the minimum recommended aquarium dimensions for an average size adult tropical gar? How many tropical gars could one keep in such an aquarium provided that there is ample filtration?

• How difficult is it to get them off of live food and accept prepared foods and pellets?

• Are there any problems associated with them that one would not normally run into with other gars (e.g. jumping, broken backs, etc.)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Wiggles92;4970506; said:
While I may not be getting a tropical gar in the immediate future, I had a few questions that others might also be curious about because they're not clearly stated in the Gar Captive Care Guide.

• What are the minimum recommended aquarium dimensions for an average size adult tropical gar? How many tropical gars could one keep in such an aquarium provided that there is ample filtration?
a 180g tank could house an adult TPG for several years, if it is on the smaller end of the size spectrum (16-18") then it could feasibly be for life. if it is one of the larger individuals on the "mean" captive max size, then a 3' wide tank is recommended.

• How difficult is it to get them off of live food and accept prepared foods and pellets?
quite easy. they are actually raised on pellets before you even get them, so they can easily convert back if you choose to get them larger on feeders at first. i usually feed them feeders to put on a few more inches before converting to pellets, but they can be converted "right out of the bag" in many cases. would help if you know what the LFS intermediary is feeding them, that way you can judge how fast they will convert to pellets. TPGs are essentially garbage disposals...larger juveniles and adults will even eat algae wafers.

• Are there any problems associated with them that one would not normally run into with other gars (e.g. jumping, broken backs, etc.)
they will jump like any other gar - keep the top of the tank secure and sealed like with any other gar. they can break their backs, but they are capable of healing (may not return to normal, but depending on the damage they can recover). not as prone to broken backs as LNG or SNG, but it does happen...seems to be a bit more frequent than other members of the genus. if they are not getting appropriate nutrition, they seem to be most prone (of gar species) to the "face erosion" you see on many public aquarium gars and some captive individuals. this can be remedied by appropriate diet (whole fish, pellet-stuffed fish, etc).
will comment more later, but brief answers are above in GREEN.--
--solomon

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Agree with Solomon on all counts... my smallest arrived at around 13" and took to pellets just as easily as the larger ones. In fact sometimes mine seem to prefer carnivore pellets to tilapia, although I give both every night.

I also have dealt with two separate Tropical jumps while they were in my 150g. They each survived but were a little worse for the wear for a week or so. Definitely jumpers - especially risky during feedings in my experience as all Atractosteus are pretty kamikaze to get at food. No jumps since moving them to the 500g.

I've also noticed some pockmarks on the big trop that I got from Shark Aquarium, where it had been sitting for a couple of years... I am guessing this is the face erosion, although it's my first time hearing it 'diagnosed'. It came as such and hopefully a full diet has stopped it.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
No need to add anything in particular as Solomon and Micheal covered it pretty well.

Just wanted to make a note on diet or I guess really try to burn this in.. Use Whole frozen fish whenever possible or always supplement with a good Pellet. TPG really are much like the gator (just smaller) they are utter garbage disposals and will take just about anything you offer.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Pejelajarto;4971390; said:
No need to add anything in particular as Solomon and Micheal covered it pretty well.

Just wanted to make a note on diet or I guess really try to burn this in.. Use Whole frozen fish whenever possible or always supplement with a good Pellet. TPG really are much like the gator (just smaller) they are utter garbage disposals and will take just about anything you offer.
i would add that Richard has been known to get gar embryos to convert to pellets :) --
--solomon

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
E_americanus;4971158; said:
will comment more later, but brief answers are above in GREEN.--
--solomon
Madding;4971237; said:
Agree with Solomon on all counts... my smallest arrived at around 13" and took to pellets just as easily as the larger ones. In fact sometimes mine seem to prefer carnivore pellets to tilapia, although I give both every night.

I also have dealt with two separate Tropical jumps while they were in my 150g. They each survived but were a little worse for the wear for a week or so. Definitely jumpers - especially risky during feedings in my experience as all Atractosteus are pretty kamikaze to get at food. No jumps since moving them to the 500g.

I've also noticed some pockmarks on the big trop that I got from Shark Aquarium, where it had been sitting for a couple of years... I am guessing this is the face erosion, although it's my first time hearing it 'diagnosed'. It came as such and hopefully a full diet has stopped it.
Pejelajarto;4971390; said:

Thanks everyone! Hopefully the soon-to-be tropical gar keepers find this discussion useful.

E_americanus;4971443; said:
i would add that Richard has been known to get gar embryos to convert to pellets :) --
--solomon
Are you serious?!? :jaw:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
just to add to the anticipation as well as revisit the past, here are a few pics of the first order (at least in the past 10+ years) of tropical gars to come in to the US (summer 2005). first shot was at the airport when i picked up the box with the first batch of fish (after they were imported through Shark Aquarium in NJ). second pics are while the fish were in the bags...i was very excited to finally receive these fish (and that's an understatement).

i look forward to similar documentation when xander and co. receive their new fish too!--
--solomon

Tgar11a.JPG

Tgar1a.JPG

Tgar2a.JPG

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I wonder if those two fish are in my tank now... haha. I must have a small percentage of that tropical gar import in my possession.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
I desperately want another tropical gar for my 220g. *sigh*

Just to add to the above comments, I wanted to offer an anecdotal comment on behavior. While my trop gar (about 24") used all of the tank levels, he prefers the lower 1/3. I am not sure if its because he is in with only bichirs otherwise, or if he is just a weirdo. He also prefers to eat off the bottom of the tank vs. floating/food in the water column.

He also, oddly, has gill curl on his left side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store