My dog keeps trying to cough something up, but can't.

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
It happens when shes sleeping, excited, waking up, and stretching , so whenever.

It sounds like she is choking on something, but I don't see anything down her throat and rubbing her throat helps her stop.

She does lick herself, not like a dog does, but like a cat does. She licks any part of her body she can get to almost daily.

She is a boxer so she sheds.

Could it be hairballs?

Anyone have experience with this with their dogs?

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
she is up to date on all her shots even got a kennel cough shot.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
It should be fine. My dog does that too, often to get for attention

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
I think its like...You know when you go for a really long bike ride, or a really fast run, and you're winded by the end of it and your throat is all dry?
That's what I think it is haha
My dog does it too. Offer some water is the best advice I can give you.

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
She as two water bowls in the house full at all times and clean most of the time, but changed everyday.
thanks

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
My dog coughs occassionally, nothing to worry about IMO. However, if I was as worried as you seem to be then I would definitely bypass waiting for responses from here and go to the vet and let them decide. Better safe than sorry.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
can you describe the cough? any mucous around the nose or mouth when he's coughing? i realize it's early in the season, but are there foxtails or some kind of weed in your yard that would grab on and dig in?

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
How recent was the kennel cough vaccine? They don't last as long as other shots, ~6mos or so. What do you use for heartworms? My vet told me that the drop on the neck stuff doesn't work that great and dogs medicated with it can still get them.
One of my dogs gets really coughy come spring time too, something in the air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store