Cichlasoma amazonarum spawn

Mahlerfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
New York
I love working with the genus Cichlasoma. They are really beautiful Acaras and for the most part are well behaved as pairs. Even outside of spawning the male/female bond is strong. I'm currently keeping pairs of 8 out of the 12 described species, as well as several undescribed forms. This pair of Cichlasoma amazonarum have spawned for me 4 times so far.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Very nice, I look foward to your posts. I like the same type fish.

Fishymike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Northampton, MA
They are nice fish, I think quite attractive with breeding colors. I'd like to see more pics of your other Cichlasoma species please.

Mike

TwoBig786

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2011
Leeds, UK
Yeah beautiful fish, got 3 atm but think 2 of them are a breeding pair, so the other one does tend to get chased around by the other 2.

Mahlerfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
New York
Sorry for the delay in answering liam2368, I did not notice that this thread had been resurrected.

These are Cichlasoma amazonarum. Cichlasoma boliviense has only three spines in the anal fin, while C. amazonarum has 4 spines(sometimes even more.) I don't have the pair anymore, but if I remember correctly the few black spots on the rear of the body, near the caudal fin is only seen when spawning/defending fry in C. amazonarum. In C. boliviense the black spotting is always more or less visible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store