large reef safe fish

longliveledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
or
we might be moving and if we do we are going to bulid a 1000+ reef tank and i was looking for fish that can grow over 18" for it

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Not much fits that bill man.

Fish eat whatever fits in their mouth 99% of the time. When you get to that size, you have a lot of options.

There are some large tangs, and a school of large tangs might be cool.

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Personally i would do a shark/ ray tank. Not reef safe but very cool....

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
UNICORN TANG

<3<3<3<3

longliveledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
or
TMartinez;4984880; said:
Personally i would do a shark/ ray tank. Not reef safe but very cool....
my mom has ichthyophobia or fear of fish and sharks are the worst but i was thinking of adding a ray

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
Well thats convenient. :ROFL:

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
UNICORN TANG

<3<3<3<3
Vlamingi Tang, Blonde or regular Naso Tang, Dussumieri Tang
^^ I agree. These are probably your best bet. Vlamingi especially look really cool in big tanks.

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
I was in caesar's palace in Vegas a few weeks ago, and I saw this unicorn tang...Damn it was big. It must have been at least 14" long, and its 'horn' was probably 5".

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mudslinger14;4987813; said:
I was in caesar's palace in Vegas a few weeks ago, and I saw this unicorn tang...Damn it was big. It must have been at least 14" long, and its 'horn' was probably 5".
I am a fan of these as well. Vlamingi is my favorite though I think.

Dussumieri's are harder to keep than the rest, just keep that in mind.

Really the possibilities are endless here. Any tang is doable and you could do a lot of them in a large tank like this.

I would be looking into filtration and lighting plans for a tank this big. You are going to need to spend a ton of money to get a massive skimmer and pumps for water movement. You will also need a ton of space for sump, refugiums, and other water volume.

Lighting for this much surface area is also something that will need a lot of planning. You most likely will want to do a combination of lighting. Doing intense halides over the islands of rocks and filling in with other lights for the areas with no coral.

You will most likely need to have a custom made addition on your house made with reinforced cement foundation to keep a tank like this. You will also need your electricity and multiple circuit capabilities customized to handle all the power you will be using.

The costs of all of this and then the costs of upkeep need to be factored in to have a healthy thriving huge tank. I am just brushing the surface on what will need to be done on a project of this magnitude. There are many other things that need planning beyond what I have started to address. IMO this planning is way way more important than stocking the tank. When you get everything up and running and stable then you can look to what to stock your tank with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store