Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    "-Sid
    Last Activity
    07-03-2013 1:15 AM

Dojo Loach + Kuhli Loach ?

Can a Dojo and 14 Kuhli Loaches live together?
    "-Some say that if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, it plays satanic noises. That's nothing, if you play it forwards, it installs Windows

Crayfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Big Jon
    Last Activity
    12-07-2011 11:20 PM
    I have dojos and kuhlis they get along great they are both very peaceful

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    "-Sid
    Last Activity
    Awesome. Thanks
    "-Some say that if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, it plays satanic noises. That's nothing, if you play it forwards, it installs Windows

Crayfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    05-05-2011 3:17 PM
    While dojos and kuhlis might be compatible together, their temperature requirements are different. Kuhli's require tropical temps, and dojos are coldwater fish. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but it will shorten their lives. Dojos shouldn't be kept in water above 70F for long periods of time. If you want your dojo to live it's entire lifespan, which could be up to ten years for some, you'll need to put it into a coldwater tank with temps between 65F and 70F.

-- bigmamafish

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    "-Sid
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmamafish;5039034;
    While dojos and kuhlis might be compatible together, their temperature requirements are different. Kuhli's require tropical temps, and dojos are coldwater fish. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but it will shorten their lives. Dojos shouldn't be kept in water above 70F for long periods of time. If you want your dojo to live it's entire lifespan, which could be up to ten years for some, you'll need to put it into a coldwater tank with temps between 65F and 70F.

-- bigmamafish
    Thanks for the info.

My LFS does NOT give correct info whatsoever. They are sold as a tropical community fish, it says right on the tank, they require a temp of 75-82(f)

Crayfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    05-05-2011 3:17 PM
    Glad I could set you straight.

A lot of LFSs give inaccurate information. They're out to sell fish, and if yours dies, they can sell you some more.

They probably have the dojos listed as tropical fish because they can tolerate the warmer temps, but these people are obviously ignorant to the fact that it would be detrimental to the loaches in the long-term. If they knew that -- and providng they cared -- they would have the dojos separated out into a coldwater tank.

It's too bad so many LFSs are like that. The poor fish suffer.

Please feel free to ask me anything you need to know about dojo loaches. I have three of them, and they are my favorite tank residents. And more than a little spoiled -- in beneficial ways that really are good for them.

-- bigmamafish

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-20-2011 4:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SidKarver;5041335;
    Thanks for the info.

My LFS does NOT give correct info whatsoever. They are sold as a tropical community fish, it says right on the tank, they require a temp of 75-82(f)
    they can be in 50-82F
    Originally Posted by Mudslinger14
    I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up at night to an octopus choking me to death, while smoking a cigar, they're that smart.
    16yr old fishkeeper

= ->