Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
Awesome. Thanks :headbang2

bigmamafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
inland northwest, usa
While dojos and kuhlis might be compatible together, their temperature requirements are different. Kuhli's require tropical temps, and dojos are coldwater fish. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but it will shorten their lives. Dojos shouldn't be kept in water above 70F for long periods of time. If you want your dojo to live it's entire lifespan, which could be up to ten years for some, you'll need to put it into a coldwater tank with temps between 65F and 70F.

-- bigmamafish

SidKarver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
bigmamafish;5039034; said:
While dojos and kuhlis might be compatible together, their temperature requirements are different. Kuhli's require tropical temps, and dojos are coldwater fish. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but it will shorten their lives. Dojos shouldn't be kept in water above 70F for long periods of time. If you want your dojo to live it's entire lifespan, which could be up to ten years for some, you'll need to put it into a coldwater tank with temps between 65F and 70F.

-- bigmamafish
Thanks for the info.

My LFS does NOT give correct info whatsoever. They are sold as a tropical community fish, it says right on the tank, they require a temp of 75-82º(f) :screwy:

bigmamafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
inland northwest, usa
Glad I could set you straight.

A lot of LFSs give inaccurate information. They're out to sell fish, and if yours dies, they can sell you some more.

They probably have the dojos listed as tropical fish because they can tolerate the warmer temps, but these people are obviously ignorant to the fact that it would be detrimental to the loaches in the long-term. If they knew that -- and providng they cared -- they would have the dojos separated out into a coldwater tank.

It's too bad so many LFSs are like that. The poor fish suffer.

Please feel free to ask me anything you need to know about dojo loaches. I have three of them, and they are my favorite tank residents. And more than a little spoiled -- in beneficial ways that really are good for them.

-- bigmamafish

Yellow_Perch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan
SidKarver;5041335; said:
Thanks for the info.

My LFS does NOT give correct info whatsoever. They are sold as a tropical community fish, it says right on the tank, they require a temp of 75-82º(f) :screwy:
they can be in 50-82F

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store